Cort GS-AXE-2 Bass Case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GST61, Jul 10, 2012.

1. GST61

GST61

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased a CORT Gene Simmons Axe Bass. I am in the middle of upgrading it, basically gutting it, bridge, pickups, tuners, pots, toggle switch etc.

I really dislike gig bags (and it comes with one). Are there any suggestions or actual experience out there WRT soft or hardshell cases that can accommodative an AXE bass?

I read in one of the threads that a COFFIN case might?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS

FYI Yes I am a KISS fan (amongst other bands), and regard this bass as fun addition to my bass collection.
  2. Basstitan

Basstitan Supporting Member

Bringing this thread back too life.

What Hardshell Case would fit an Cort GS AXE Bass ?
  3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Hey GST61,
    Just wanted to ask you why your gutting it.
    Im quessing because its all very cheap quality but is there something that stood out more then the rest of things ?
    I found that the Cort Punisher which is the same as the Axe had flaws up & down from dirty frets the fretboard was shockingly filthy,black was coming off it & the pickups sound bright as hell.Some of the frets arent seated properly & are tarnished from day one.Even the diamond inlays are scratched to the max,this is a brand new bass ?The fretboard has white streaks in it that i only see in Indonesian basses.Indian Rosewood but the ones that Cort used for this must be the bottom of the bag when it comes to quality.To me it seems to have the most cheapest hardware ive seen for that price !
  4. rickwebb

rickwebb

I picked up a GS Punisher this past summer. I swapped out the tuners for a set of Gotohs and a Hipshot D-Tuner, but otherwise i found the construction to be very impressive for an Indonesian guitar...
    The only other mod i would have done is to rewire it so it has individual Volume controls.
    Otherwise, i'm quite happy with it! (but i DO haul it around in a plain gig bag... :) )
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basstitan

Basstitan Supporting Member

Does anyone think a G & G or Roadrunner Hardshell Case would fit the Cort AXE Bass?
  7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Dude your gonna need a custom case made for that thing.
  8. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Turn the bass on its side,have a look a close look at the frets & see if they are seated correctly i bet their not.
    Id say the frets & fretboard are shocking !
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Don't blame the country of manufacture; blame the client. Indonesian basses can be built to any level of quality. Quality is only limited as needed to meet a price point. I have several Indos that are superior instruments. Really, it is more about Cort and Gene than the country.
  10. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Op, go to the Gene Simmons and his old school basses thread. It has become the place to go for any Gene Bass that he has played over the years. There are several people on there that have the Axe and Punished basses, that could give you some suggestions. They seem to like the bass. Some have swapped out the mighty mite pickups and pit in the EMG that Gene has in the higher end neck thru model. There is one guy that likes the pick ups as is.

As far as a hard case though? I have no idea, sorry.
  11. EpiRipper

EpiRipper

I would be the one guy who likes the pickups as they are! I love the sound of the Mighty Mite pickups in my axe... the ones in my Punisher, not so much. They may get swapped out yet. BTW, my axe is my number one bass at the moment, it gets the job done, sounds and feels better than my '76 P, and gets a lot of attention...
    Back to the original topic... I would love a hard case for it!
  12. bri450r

bri450r

The only true problem with my axe is the neck dive! That thing is a handful. You would probably have to make your own case.
  13. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Sorry did not nessarly mean there was only one guy, lol. Just the only one I could think of at this moment, really tired long day and all, lol!! I really like my AXE bass also! Would be cool to get a hard case for it. :)
  14. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

There are also a couple of fixes for neck dive if you go to the thread I mentioned. One involved using a part from a Steinberger bass. Other was relocating button as you would on a t bird. Also wide strap helps. You are correct though they do have major neck dive, until ya do one of the mods, which from what I have read on TB seem to help a lot.
  15. Teacher

Teacher

For those not familiar, the thread is easier to find when you know Gene's name is spelled "$immons" in the thread title. And for us KISS fans, it's a fantastic resource!
  16. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

+1
  17. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    How can they when they are the exact same pickups used in both basses.
    Both basses have the same,
    Wood,
    Fretboard,
    Bridge,
    Nut,
    Tuners.
    I cant see how the AXE would sound better then the Punisher when they are the same bass except for the shape ?:confused:

If they did have 2 totally different pickups then yeah that could change the sound.They both sport the identicle Mighty Mite Neck & bridge pickups ?
  18. EpiRipper

EpiRipper

Yeah, and two otherwise identical Fender P basses will always sound the same too.:rollno:
    Maybe it has to do with there being more body mass in the Axe. There might be a few more turns of wire around the bobbin in the pickup... I don't know. I'm not a luthier, nor am I an electrical engineer. I just know that my Punisher sounds good on the E and A string, and thin and nasally on the D and G. My Axe sounds good across the strings and up and down the fingerboard. BTW, both are setup almost exactly the same.