Cort P Bass - help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CBNJ, Nov 4, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

Are they any good? Worth it for $50? I don't see any serial, but it looks like there was a sticker on headstock. It's pretty beat up and dirty, but sounds nice. Anyone? Thanks on advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

As long as you know how to repair and setup a bass yourself it is worth it.
    Some corts are very very good and some are just budget instruments.
    I would say clean it up, replace the pickups, Check on the pots and wiring, put some flats on it, and give it a complete setup and play that thing.
    Also make sure the truss rod is functional.
  3. CBNJ

Any way to date this thing/tell if its a good one? :p when were good Corts made?
  4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

99% sure it's plywood. That said, there's one near me for $120. It plays and sound really nice but for $120 it's not a bargain. For $50 I'd be all over it. The neck on the one near me is superb.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Cort's been the main manufacturer for off-shore Ibanez (non Japanese), G&L, and a bunch of other brands for decades. They make quality stuff. That bass looks like it just needs a cleaning & setup. :)

I've never known Cort to use plywood bodies. The only way to be sure is to pull the neck off, though. I doubt it's plywood.
  7. CBNJ

Any way to tell what the body is made of besides taking the neck off?
  8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

The one near me is nearly identical to the pics by the op. only difference is finish. The one I've played is 100% plywood. No doubt. No need to take the neck off. The sandwich layers are easily visible through the finish on the sides. I've owned a couple of plywood cheapies. They sounded great and for the most part were pretty light. I have nothing against wood of the ply tree, just want the OP to be aware.
  9. superfunk47

superfunk47

Try the control cavity under the PG.
  10. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Some of Corts products are worthwhile while some are just junk. I bought a Cort Mirage guitar from a pawnshop for 70$ the other day, and it sounds great for rock. If the trussrod works, and all the parts that need to move freely can do so, it could be worth your while to invest a bit of money in this bass. 50$ is usually a steal anyways as you could bring your cost to under 200$ with new pickups and it could sound real nice.
  11. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have on old Cort. It is probably one of the best playing basses I have ever owned. The sounds not that great on it but it still has the original pups on it. The neck is as fast as anything I have ever owned and I can get the action really low with no buzz at all. As long as the truss rod works and the necks not warped beyond usability , I would jump on an old Cort for that price.:hyper: