Cort Punisher "Stratitis" Above the 12th

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    I recently bought a Cort Punisher bass with those cheap (very cheap) Mighty Mite pickups in it.The tone is so bright it nearly hurts.
    Anyway after playing i notice that above the 12th fret on G & D it has some kind of an effect like a chorus or echo something wierd sounding.Doing a little research i found out that some pickups pole peices pull on the strings that hard that they cause like a chorus effect.
    Has anybody had this problem with this bass or another ?
    Now i really want these out of the bass thinking.......EMG.
    Would EMG pickups do the same thing if they are too close to the string ? My Fender Lyte bass doesnt do this no matter how close !
    Thanks guys.
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

First things first: have you changed the strings yet? Old or twisted strings can cause all sorts of problems. Once you've changed the strings try lowering the treble side of the pickups.

Typically 'stratitis' happens on the bass side which is why most pickups are recommended to be set 1/16 to 1/8" lower on the bass side than on the treble side. But regardless the string pull symptoms can be alleviated by lowering the pickups.

EMG pickups exhibit much less string pull because the magnets are much less powerful and sound best IMO when they are super close to the strings.
  3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Excellent !!
    Thanks,just got 2 sets of strings.
  4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Man about this over the 12th fret thing.I ended up not changing the strings but lowered the pickups' mainly the neck p/u & it has fixed the chorus effect its gone.
    It sounded like the strings were being effected by the pole pieces if anything its not there anymore.
    I dont think it was the strings either cause once the strings moved further away the sound was normal again.
    Wierd pickups these Mighty Mites.
  5. Register to disable this ad