1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Corvette rockbass active vs passive

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Scramblur, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Scramblur

Scramblur

Need some help in decidinb between active and passive on this bass.

From what I read, people seem to lean towards active.

Was wondering if anyone could speak to it more, particually in regards to this instrument?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

We’ll like you can imagine it’s personal preference as far as a description the active pickups with active preamp will have a more clean sound more modern like EMG with the ability to cut and add highs and lows. To me an active preamp is what I like and active pickups are my sound.

Passive will sound a bit more traditional and actually passive pickups with a passive EQ section will have its own advantages. One not needing any batteries and worrying about voltage drops. Also passive systems will work well with amps that may have a sensitive preamp section and definitely work better with effects. The hotter signal from active systems can sometimes overdrive the front end of an amp and make a SS amp sound dirty in not such a great way. Some effects running at 9 volts especially without a ton of headroom can get over-driven by active systems and engineers generally find a more usable recording signal with passive it’s what more are more used to.

That aside without a doubt I’m an active guy I like the flexibility and on board active system can offer and I like a clean clear signal from my bass. My pedals and amp and cabs give me any color I’m looking for. I just think active systems sound better clearer and that’s what I like but grant you these are generalizations not absolutes you have to do some field research on your own.