Cotton on the inside of Hartke 410XL

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stephen3547, Feb 14, 2014.

1. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

I just got this cabinet. On the inside of it, there is a piece of wood dividing the cabinet down the middle with two speaker cones on each side. On the right side, their is cotton evenly distributed over the interior, covering all the wood. But, on the left side, the cotton appears to be only partially covering two sides and the rest is laying at the bottom.

Is this preventing me from getting the most out of my cabinet? Is it worth trying to fix?
  2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

it sounds like you are talking about the wadding that is there to dampen sound bouncing around in the box...it is supposed to be there and the cab will probably sound quite honky if you remove it, so yes...put the piece that's fallen back in place
  3. stephen3547

Thanks. There's a slight rattle sometimes when I hit the open low E or B string, do you think reattaching the fallen cotton would help fix that?
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You line a ported cab and fill a sealed cab. The purpose of the material is to absorb sound waves that are reflected off the surfaces. This helps decrease muddyness.

Ported cabs do not always have all their surfaces covered. Some only have the back surface, opposite the speaker lined. Will it make a difference if you added material where it is missing? It might. Try it and see. If you can't find something similar to what is in there, try a material such as a mattress liner foam or dense spun polyester mat available from a fabric store.

Sometimes the lining material can vibrate if it isn't attached well and can cause a buzz. Vibrations can also be due to something else such as a wire vibrating against something, a loose jack plate, loose crossover components or mounts, the torque on the speaker, the grille cloth flapping, a loose baffle, etc. This list of possibilities is long.
  5. stephen3547

Thanks. What is speaker torque and what is baffle?
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The baffle is the board that the speaker is attached to. On some amps the baffle is attached to the cabinet with screws. On other cabinets is is glued into place. If a screw is loose, the baffle could vibrate. On older cabinets, sometimes the plywood laminates around the speaker cutout become loose and the laminated vibrate. This causes a buzzing under certain conditions.

Your speaker is mounted to the baffle with four or more screws or nuts. The speaker has to be fastened with an even pressure around it. If a fastener loosens the speaker can vibrate and cause a buzz.

When tightening the screw or nut, you apply a certain amount of twisting force, this is called torque. You want the pressure around the mounted speaker to be even. This is done by tightening the fastener in an X or star pattern as outlined here. It is important to not over tighten the speaker fasteners. You can damage the speaker by warping the frame.

As I mentioned above, there are many things that can cause a buzz in a speaker cabinet. These are only two of them.
  7. Bigskybassguy

Bigskybassguy

My 2 cents:
    1. Make sure all the speaker, front grill, and cab screws/nuts are fairly tightened.
    2. Try stiffening the cab walls with 1.5" strips of plywood glued in on their edges (using Loctitle PL). Bottom/top/sides. Can't hurt, & may reallly eliminate some boomy/hollow freqs.
    3. Try experimenting with your damping material. Pull out the old junk. Good/available stuff is actual fiberglass insulation in a roll, but it's "itchy".

Even better is polyester quilt batting (what all of us fEARful guys use). Start with zero and play it for "taste", then start adding blankets of the damping (w staples) to all interior surfaces. Keep any ports open. You may be delighted. It's America; you're free to experiment.