could a Lakland replace two loved fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBender82, Nov 30, 2013.

1. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

so I was snooping around sweetwater today and discovered the 44-01 deluxe spalted a haven't stopped thinking about it. ive always wanted a 44-94 but cant swing the four grand and I always felt that the 44-02 skyline was too expensive and would rather get a usa made fender or stingray. but the 44-01 is about $800!

Now for the issue, since I have to be a responsible adult I would have to sell my two current basses to fund this purchase. ive had both of these basses for 10+ years and think its time to move on and stir things up. the first is a late 90's p-bass with sd hot for pbass pups that has a nice classic rock and punk sound and the second is my p-bass lyte deluxe mahogany with 3-band and a natural finish. the p bass lyte is kind of rare and really comfy, but im wondering if ill regret letting it go.

I play mostly with friend at partys and occasional open mics, nothing serious and do studio stuff at home. my amp is an eden 210xlt and hartke lh500, ill sometimes use a dbx compressor and bass bigmuff pi. The hartke doesn't have a gain control and neither of my basses seem to be able to drive the pre amp tube like id want. I plan on eventlually getting an eden 112xlt and switching too the lh1000(more for the pre-gain than the added power) or possibly a eden traveler if I hit the lottery.

ok so the styles im currently interested in are hard rock and metal but would like as many GOOD sounds as possible, my pbass lyte can get these sounds but they sound kind of pussed out at times or muffled when clean and pickup replacement is out of the question since the only bridge pup upgrade is a $250 Delano.

so how about this lakland? ive never played one but from the specs I think ill like the feel but im not sure. how would the neck compare to my current basses? It seems like the profile would fall inbetween the jazz and pbass necks. how versatile are the pups? I would like to have a bass that cn do a thick clean sound and also a puchy/growly sound on the fly. is the 44-01 the right fit?
  2. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Whats a Lakeland?
  3. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

Here's the basses on the chopping block.[​IMG]
  4. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I would sell the P-bass, keep the Lyte, and buy the Lakland.

Lytes aren't that easy to come by, especially in nice and unmolested condition. There are lots of threads around here on Lyte pickup and preamp replacements, check them out for ideas. Of course, if in the end you don't really like it, then go ahead and let it go.

P-Basses are everywhere, it will be easy to replace or even upgrade upon.

I've been GASing for a Lakland for a long time now. You don't hear anything but great things about them.
  7. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

id like to keep the lyte unmolested any way. the pbass isint worth much, the lyte would need to go to afford the Lakland
  8. Lloydtownsend

Lloydtownsend

I have a jazz and a lakland and there is no contest. Sell your fenders. The only way you could think a fender is better, in anyway, is to have a serious brain injury.
  9. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

ok. let me remove my helmet and ill proceed to throw myself down the stairs headfirst . ill keep you posted.
  10. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

I think I still want the lakland. but theyre back ordered.
  11. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

the 44-01 is the low end of the lakland line. They can be had used at around $600. the -02/94 models are far better sounding and more versatile, but I am a big fan of the bridge humbucker Stingray sound, which the Lakland was designed to impersonate, along with a jazz bass sound. the 01's were later in production with the launch of the Skylines and have no US counterpart. Also the tops on the skylines are wafer thin lams that have no bearing on sound, They are cosmetic only. FWIW..try and A/B an 01 vs an 02.
  12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Yes. Clean and strong are what the 4401 is all about. Also quick EQ changes, via the pan knob, or the active/passive switch. Or both.

I keep mine tuned down a whole step and it kills. The clean-sounding MKI Bartolini elecs make it sound like a huge organ.

There is a big thread about the 4401 and 5501 basses around here somewhere.
  13. SteveC

SteveC

If I wasn't playing a Roscoe, I'd be playing a Lakland. I've had 3-4 of them. The J/MM is my favorite. Gets you in the P, JJ, and MM neighborhoods very well. Not PERFECT but close enough for me. Heck, my soapbar Roscoe gets me a nice P tone when I favor the neck pup and add a little 800 Hz mid boost.
  14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I'd keep the Fenders. The Lakland will be a serious player, but I think the -01 electronics make it sound kind of ho-hum in a mix. Since you don't want to buy a bass and upgrade immediately, I suggest making sure you really understand the personality-less tone you get with the -01 series. IMO.

I own both Fenders and Laklands.
  15. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

The 44-01 will give you the sound of the two basses that you have but thicker and more hifi. I upgraded my 55-01 to USA Barts pups and pre because I got a smoking deal on the components, but was perfectly happy with the stock setup.

The 44-01 is not the "low end" Lakland. It's made in Indonesia and assembled and PLEK'd in Chicago like every other Skyline.
  16. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    This. -01 series basses are constructed and the electronics installed at the overseas factory. Final fit/finish/PLEK is done in Chicago.

-02 series basses arrive at the factory routed for electronics, but the Lakland/Hanson system is installed and then final fit/finish is done.

Bottom-line? -01's are not a 'step down' in anyway. Just different electronics and sold at a lower cost than the -02 series. I own both, and honestly play my -01's more regularly than my -02 bass. That said, every time I pick up my -02 bass I am reminded of why it is such a powerhouse, and why the LH-3 system is so awesome.

17. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Brand xenophobia aside, tonally, the -01 will not give you the 'P-sound' like you are likely used to from your existing basses. If you need that P-toine and it's a matter of going 2 to 1, I would hang on to the 2 you have. If you could sell one of them and get the -01, that would be ideal. Of course all this is IMHO.
  18. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I'd never sell the Lyte, and $800. could get a used American Standard Precision or Jazz. You have the "Fender" bug, and Asian alternatives won't hold that craving for long...
  19. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm a long time Fender guy, and after I had the opportunity to try a 44/01, I found it lacking a little in the mojo category. The Lakland was pretty, well built, and set up nicely, but it just didn't have the "feel" I like. If you have to have the Lakland, hang on to Lyte and sell the P. Don't give up both of your Fenders for the new bass.
  20. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

I wish I could hold on to both of them! the pbass I got when I was 13 almost 19 years ago. and the lyte is like an extension of my body. but I think im just bored of them and cant admit it. I find myself gravitating toward my newest lespaul and rarely even touch the basses other than to clean them now.
  21. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

I think I've been playing fenders exclusively long enough to admit that I don't have the fender bug anymore. id like to follow along with Leo fenders evolution and get a stingray but I know I cant just have it as my one bass since they cant really do anything but a stingray sound. ive kicked around the idea of a ray34 or g&l tribute but I know it wouldn't be long before the urge for theyre usa made counterpart set in. ive never played a lakland, but ive never heard a bad thing about them.

how are the lakland necks? I think that whats really killing me with my fenders is that Im constantly adjusting the truss rods and by the time I get them set the creative juices are gone. I think something happened to them while they were in storage about 4 years ago when I was in the process of moving. now they cant handle the new England climate changes. ive become used to always having a dead fret somewhere and forgot what a true neck actually feels like.