1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

could flat wounds help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mfleming1963, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mfleming1963

mfleming1963

I am currently playing guitar looking to get back into playing bass. I was looking at 2 used basses yesterday, niether is high end as I don't have alot of cash right now. One was a Peavy with J-bass set-up passive pickups and the other was an Ibanez that was active. The necks on both were very similar and pleasant to play. I liked the Ibanez a bit more, except there was a clacking sound from the string on the frets I didn't care for. It did not come through the amp but when I was at low volumes I could hear it.

Regardles of which bass I buy, I plan on using flat wounds or half flats. Could flat wound strings help reduce the fret clacking at all?

I am new here but already have read through some posts and I am sure you guys can give me some pointers. Thanks in advance.
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Flats will dampen that sound some, but it's more of a technique issue.
  3. atomicdog

atomicdog

Technique is one factor.The action may be set too low. Re: flats: if the flats are low tension, they may be make a lot of string noise. Try muting the strings with your palm and use a pick.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like it needs a setup.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 the better I got the less noise I heard.
  6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

Other strings do not cure the problem. As the Peavy didn't produce a clacking sound, I assume the action of that Ibby may be too low for your playing style.