could flat wounds help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mfleming1963, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mfleming1963

mfleming1963

I am currently playing guitar looking to get back into playing bass. I was looking at 2 used basses yesterday, niether is high end as I don't have alot of cash right now. One was a Peavy with J-bass set-up passive pickups and the other was an Ibanez that was active. The necks on both were very similar and pleasant to play. I liked the Ibanez a bit more, except there was a clacking sound from the string on the frets I didn't care for. It did not come through the amp but when I was at low volumes I could hear it.

Regardles of which bass I buy, I plan on using flat wounds or half flats. Could flat wound strings help reduce the fret clacking at all?

I am new here but already have read through some posts and I am sure you guys can give me some pointers. Thanks in advance.
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Flats will dampen that sound some, but it's more of a technique issue.
  3. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Technique is one factor.The action may be set too low. Re: flats: if the flats are low tension, they may be make a lot of string noise. Try muting the strings with your palm and use a pick.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like it needs a setup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 the better I got the less noise I heard.
  7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Other strings do not cure the problem. As the Peavy didn't produce a clacking sound, I assume the action of that Ibby may be too low for your playing style.