1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

could you please help me to identify this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatalityX, Dec 24, 2012.

1. FatalityX

FatalityX

First of all, I'll introduce myself: my name is Ronald, I used to have a bass guitar (in fact, it was my first instrument and with it I made my first steps into the world of music) but I had to sell it due to financial problems. I've seen and entered into this website since quite long time ago but I never decided to register myself because I felt that there was nothing in what I could contribute because I did not had any instrument.
    But now, turns out that someone is offering me a bass guitar, according to the seller it supposed to be a vintage bass, from the 60's, but there's no any seal of any brand on it and I don't know if it is really a vintage bass. I was hoping to you guys help me to identify what kind of bass it is or it's brand, and if it worth to buy it.

Here you have some photos of it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it is in a pretty bad condition, but actually I don't care too much about how it looks. What do you guys think about it and what brand could it be?

PD: Sorry for my bad english, I actually speak in spanish.
  2. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Welcome. Or hola!
    More likely made the 1970s than 60s.
    It is probably non-functional, and I would guess it's worth is well under 50 Euro.
  3. JimB52

Interesting piece. I like the color and the linoleum pickguard.
  4. FatalityX

FatalityX

Well... according to the seller it is fully functional and he installed a new set of strings on the bass. Do you have any idea of what brand it is?.

Btw, thanks for answering.
  5. abarson

abarson

Teisco is my guess, but I'm no expert. They show up on ebay quite often.
  6. rfslick

rfslick

I had a 'Knox' from Montgomery Wards that had a pickup like that. That was in about '66. Very similar only mine had two rocker switches.
  7. JimB52

8. tmdazed

tmdazed

Teisco EB100 series, crap guitars from the get go and that one is definitely not playable. most of them did not even have a truss rod under the cover, and the ones that did , the majority didnt even work or snapped, Plywood bodies too , no way I would pay more than 25 bucks to smash during a gig for that. The pickguard looks like it was a home made from an old piece of arborite they had hanging around

[​IMG]
  9. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

10. dtripoli

dtripoli

It's a Yugo bass. Bad when they were new and now only good to hang in your garage and throw darts at.
    Seriously, just find a used Squier. They are cheap, very playable and easy to find
  11. tmdazed

tmdazed

sound advice
  12. James L

James L

You can't go wrong there! They have stepped up their game too.
  13. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

Back in the mid 1970's my parents remodeled their bathroom. That pickguard has the same pattern and colors as the paneling they used.
  14. tmdazed

tmdazed

if you look at the edges in the picture, it looks like someone cut it with a utility knife , squared off edges, mostly crooked
  15. millsbass5

millsbass5

Yes!! I knew it!! I just knew Leo Quann ripped somebody off for the design of his bridge. Damn crook.
  16. FatalityX

FatalityX

Ok, I decided not to buy that bass. Thank you all for the feedback.
  17. kenfxj

kenfxj

That bridge looks like it should have a troll living under it.
  18. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

No doubt about the troll! :p

You definitely made the right decision FatalityX. That bass makes a SX look like something out of the Fender Custom Shop.
  19. cdef

cdef

Good - today you'd have to be a masochist to purchase a bass like that to actually play on. It looks like a Kawai
    bulk bass off the Teisco production line about 1968, rusted and "refinished" with a spray can. - For comparison,
    here is a back headstock shot of a Kawai-made US import "Bruno" bass. Construction and hardware identical.

[​IMG]

The pickup may be a slightly later replacement - it's the type used by Matsumoku on the Aria A-100/200 basses
    in the early/mid-70's. And yes, the pickguard seems homemade.
  20. bootsox

bootsox

Judging by the neck plate, bridge, and finish, I'd say it's Korean. It's a step up from Soviet, at least. Not a very good instrument, I'd pass it up unless you could get it for under $60 or so, and even then just as a project beater.

Definitely made between around 1964-1968