1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Count in for this song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SeeBread, Dec 22, 2013.

1. SeeBread

SeeBread

Gotta love a bit of Saturday Night Fever.

Can't work out the count in for Disco Inferno though. I can play it well every time but it would be nice to know what the count in should be for the intro bit so I can come in on the one when the main bit of the song start.

Basically, what beat does it start on? Does the time signature change between the intro and the main song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAGaaqndyxg&list=PL2444E53052A1BEAA

2. elgecko

elgecko

It's simple 4/4 the whole way through. The only tricky thing is the initial cymbal crash falls on 4...that's called a pickup note.

3. SeeBread

SeeBread

If I follow it through like that though, there's a eighth beat missing between the intro and the main song.

4. elgecko

elgecko

It only feels that way because the actual groove starts on the "and of 4" in the second bar of the intro, creating anticipation of the down beat. It's 4/4, I promise!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Correct. If you divide the measure into 8th notes it would fall on the 7th. The snare pop of the beginning of "Light My Fire" by the Doors does the same thing.

7. elgecko

elgecko

For a point of reference, kick drum falls on the downbeats and hi hat falls on the upbeats. The bass figure starts with the hi hat, on the "and of 4".

The bass line doesn't start on one. It starts on the "and of 4" of the previous measure.