1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Country Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, I went looking through and couldn't find a club for this. And everyone knows that here on TB.......WE LOVE CLUBS!!!!

So I'm thinking of starting a "Country Bassist Club".

If there is already one out there, point me in that direction.

If not, then it starts here!!!!
  2. heynorm

heynorm

Continuous since '93. On and off since '66.

"Past the Point of Rescue" -Hal Ketchum
  3. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Okay, here's the one catch;

You have to post your favorite country song that you play, whether old or new.

No song, no number!!! :D

Here's mine;

"Luckenback Texas", Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson

It's fun, simple, and a good song.

Outlaw Country, Classic, New, all are welcome!!!
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I'm in but not a club guy around here just want to say.

I played in a old School country band for almost 2 years and my Folk/rock Amricana originals band (4 yrs) covers a few Country songs each show.
    As for fav song? Tuff one...ok... Copperhead Road by Steve Earle. We started doing it a little while back Mandolin and all..big fun but easy on me :D
  5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Count me in! I'm in a traditional country band and don't you DARE call it hard core country!!!! I made the mistake of calling it a hard core country band and the drummer was NOT happy.

Favorite tune - all of them, but if I had to pick, currently it's Hank Williams Jr, Family Tradition.
  6. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Count Me in.. Act Naturally .. Buck Owens.. we do more just like the lyrics.. we cover old tunes and americana/alt country stuff mixed in with a little rockabilly
  7. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

I live in Texas. It you want to play live gigs in this state, you best be in a country band as 90% of the performance venues here are country music based. Down here, they have traditional "classic" country and some newer music called "red dirt country" that features younger musicians and a little more rockin' style to it. If it is country, they play it here.

Count me in the "Country Club"! I've been playing country music since 1975 when the "Outlaw Country" of Willie, Waylon and Kris first hit down here. As for a favorite song.....that is a tough one. I have so many. "Six Days on the Toad" is a fav of mine. I also like "Anybody goin' to San Antone?" by Charlie Pride as well as about 100 other songs!

And as mentioned above by ifmn16, I like the term "hard core country"! To me, that could mean everything from slow "tears in your beer" stuff all the way to "rockin' country" music. The band I work weekends with is: Rhythm acoustic guitard/singer - Lead guitard/singer - Electric fiddler/singer - myself/bass - drummer.
  8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Cool turnout.

Our BL had the fortune of playing with Charlie Pride in the early 70's......

So here's the starter list;

BayStateBass #1
    heynorm #2
    bassbully #3
    lfmn16 #4
    tomydacat #5
    Tx Basser #6
  9. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Like all these clubs, feel free to post up your experiences and some cool gig stories, too!
  10. tomydacat

well in my old band we opened for David Allan Coe and Shooter Jennings as well as Justin Moore Rand Rogers Band and Eric Church.. FUN TIMES.. all around this new band we are just starting out so I am prepared for good times as well here .. Confederate Railroad was really cool to open for as well..
  11. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I just started playing in a new original roots country band. Only one cover song in our set now and it is "Long Black Veil". Here's a pic from Terra Haute last Saturday. Torrential downpour outside and a drip coming through the ceiling on back center stage. Then we played Tuesday in Memphis in the middle of a major ice storm. I don't know what to expect for the next gig...locust?...fire and brimstone?

[​IMG]
  12. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

"Long Black Veil" is an awesome song. And although our band plays mostly traditional classic country, we also throw in some Dwight Yoakum, etc.

I really like most country like the tradtional stuff but alot of the newer artists are playing some cool stuff. Randy Rogers Band, Eric Church, Stoney Larue are some of the newer guys who are playing some good stuff...IMO.

Randy Rogers was raised in the same area I was, Johnson County, and he's a friendly guy. FYI....Taylor Swift ain't country.
  13. tomydacat

Awesome PIC .. love the upright... and we play Blame the Vein by Dwight
  14. tomydacat

sorry Blame the Vain
  15. wideload

wideload

Is "Blame the Vein" a country response to "Needle and the Damage Done"?? :)
  16. tomydacat

i spelled it wrong and not sure ... i typed to fast and wasn't looking haha
  17. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

I guess I'm a sub for the Country Bassist club then... I play with a traditional country band from time to time. Upright bass, small kit, smokin' Tele player, etc. Mostly originals but we do open with Ghost Riders in the Sky and sometimes do Home of the Blues by JC.
  18. Mr-Wunderful

Mr-Wunderful

I play in an original country/red dirt/ whatever band. We do throw some covers into the set when we have to play a long set. I like doing Dwight Yoakum's "Fast as You".
  19. Hammertime3

Hammertime3 Supporting Member

I'm 74 years young, been listening to country since the 40's and playing since the 60's. Though I thought I'd heard it all from Johnny Rodriguez, Willies Roadhouse spun "Foolin" one day, and I couldn't wait to get it up on Youtube and listen again, actually several times. It's now my favorite, but subject to change at anytime, especially with the Hag and Vince Gill out there.

Really can't say much for today's country, but gimme some Ray Price, Buddy Emmons, and walking bass....what else is there, really??

Bob
  20. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Count me in! I've played country most of the time from the late 70s on. Not currently in a working country band, but I'm rehearsing a li'l something for later this year!
    Two of the greatest! Anything by either of them! And thanks to Vince for turning me on to Dawn Sears and her incredible version of "Sweet Memories", check it out on YT!
    Was a fixture on my songlist for years!

Some other favorites:
    Lonely Too Long - Patty Loveless
    Find Out Who Your Friends Are - Tracy Lawrence
    Almost Home - Craig Morgan
    I Can Still Make Cheyenne - Geo. Strait

No way I can narrow it down to one or two! LOL