1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Country P pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nickrs540, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nickrs540

nickrs540

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon a Peavey Fury that I'm going to use as my new project bass. This will end up being my go to country bass if all ends well. I basically have everything mapped out for what I'm going to do look wise, but the thing I keep second guessing my self is on what Pups i'm going to end up using.

I've never purchased after market pups before so I'm going into new teritory here.

Basically i'm wondering what after market pups other players round here are using for their P basses in country. If you are using the stock ones that's cool too.

I'm going for a more upright tone at first. I'm planing on using tapewounds. The band is more oldschool/outlaw country so a upright tone would be better.
  2. nickrs540

nickrs540

Anybody out there playing old school country with some aftermarket pups?
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Just buy some stock Fender ones. That's what most of the stuff was recorded with anyway. I wouldn't get all fancy. A friend lives in Nashville. He uses a different bass player nearly every week. According to him, almost all of them are playing regular 4 string Fender P's. That includes the old guys and the kids too.
  4. nickrs540

nickrs540

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't against putting up some money for a good pair that will really make a difference.

Is there any difference in the stock fender pups? Any certain model, or are they basically all the same? I had a 95 MIM P and I wasn't a real fan of the tone.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Maybe check the Fender site? I think they have some "regular" ones and some 62 reissues as well as a couple more. Then go to youtube. There will be lots of A/B videos.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

'62 reissue.
  7. nickrs540

nickrs540

Sweet, I will check em' out when I have the chance.

Just for another option have you guys heard/played the Aguilar AG 4P-60. They are supposedly designed around a 64'Ps original pups. I've always been a fan of Aguilar gear and I bet these pups wouldn't dissapoint.
  8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Yep '62 Fender pups (now packaged as 'Fender Original')
    They sound awesome with tapes or flats - used them in a cowpunk band I used to play in.
    you won't be disappointed!
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

I play lot's of country. Love Pete Biltoft's split P bass pickups. Find him at Vintage Vibe Guitars on the web. I like Alnico 3 with 5 % overwind. Punchy, warm, articulate. They kinda instantly 'age' your bass and take it somewhere a little mellower than usual. Works great for me in a country or blues or rock'a billy setting. Pete does beautiful work.