Country Western patterns

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ldervish, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ldervish

ldervish

A neighbor wants to get together, and he is into "classic" CW like early Merle Haggard & etc.

I have never played CW and wondered if someone could give me a heads-up on common patterns?

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Classic Country is major key and I IV V three chord songs. The lead breaks (solo) are handled by the lead electric 6 string guitar or the pedal steel guitar. So relax, your job is to keep the beat and do not step on the toes of the vocalist or the instrument taking the lead breaks, i.e. your job is the bottom end bass line in a steady beat - nothing fancy in ole time Country bass. Your chromatic run to the next chord is as fancy as it gets. Kings X on new Country, that is just like Rock or Pop music - different animal.

The band will be playing from fake chord sheet music - you follow the chord changes and play root - five patterns. A chromatic run to the next chord is welcomed and calls attention to the chord change coming up. Country's chromatic run is - target the next root, now leave early and miss it by three frets then walk to it one fret per beat and be on the next chord's root for the chord change. Timing the leave early and landing on the chord change root is the hard part, but, not a step for a stepper. Take you about an hour to figure it out.

The first 1:30 of this video nails it. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8q0io_beginner-country-bass-guitar-introd_music

Root-five pattern. From the root the five is up a string and over two frets, or, right below the root on the next string down. If there is a string below your root. If you placed the root on the 4th string only choice you then have is up a string and over two frets - as there is not another string below the 4th -- unless you have a 5 string bass. Sorry, too much information.
    Code:
    Major Scale Box. 
    G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---[B]5[/B]---|
    E|-------|---[B]R[/B]---|-------|---2---|4th string
    Try for root on the first beat and the 5 on the 
    third beat - to get you started.  Yes there is more, 
    but, get that down first.  Notice if you put the tonic
    I cord Root on the 3rd string your IV is right above it
    same fret and your V is right below it same fret.  Piece
    of cake. 
    [​IMG]
    Your root chord, the I chord, is the C. Find it on the 3rd string 3rd fret. Where is your IV chord ( F) and the V chord (G)? Yep piece of cake. Root is the D chord. Where is there a D note on your fretboard's 3rd string? Yep, at the 5th fret. Where is the G and A? Right where it is supposed to be; above the D and below the D. This I IV V stuff is not going to be a steep learning curve. Place the I chord on the 3rd string and the IV and V are above and below your I chord.

It's boot scoot music that people dance to. Have fun. Here's ole Hank little more sophisticated. IMO the beginning of New Country.

3. ldervish

ldervish

Excellent. Thanks so much.

4. funkybass

funkybass

Classic country is more diatonic runs, not chromatic. The video you posted had diatonic passing notes, not chromatic.

5. Register to disable this ad