Countryman busted

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by M0ses, Jan 27, 2014.

1. M0ses

M0ses

So, after using it three or four times, and other than that sitting in my case as a backup for the last six months, the jacks on my Countryman type 85 are screwed up. I'm losing signal completely depending on how I wiggle the cords in it. When this was discovered I was just using the two 1/4 jacks (just as a thru for cord extension lol), not even the actual DI. Opening it up didn't reveal any problems with a visual inspection.

***? I was under the impression that one of the the main selling points of this thing was it's virtual indestructible nature and it's unbelievable reliability.

Anyone have experience with this?
    And yes, I'm quite sure everything else in my signal chain is in proper working condition.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Its probably a bad cable/cord - if not just send it back and get another one. I've use tons of 85s, and I've never seen a bad one - so its REALLY RARE!!!
  3. M0ses

M0ses

It's not a bad cable. Everything works perfectly when the 85 is removed from the chain.
  4. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I wouldn't give up on the 85. Just get a replacement and you should be good. Very odd that it failed on you though as they really are indestructible.
  5. M0ses

M0ses

Yeah I am pretty bummed: I have recorded through an 85 and loved it, which is why I got it.
    If I contact them, any idea how much trouble it would be to get a replacement?
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The Countryman 85 is built like a tank. I've seen 85s stepped on, tossed, and even dropkicked across a stage and still work perfect. But maybe you got that one lemon in a million - just take it or send it back to wherever you bought it form and (replace it) get another one, and move on.
  7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Open it up and check the jacks where the cable end makes contact. The contacts might be dirty.

My Countryman has been serving me well for an awful long time. I've never had an issue.
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

I've had mine (she's a back-up now) since the early-mid 80's. And, I'd welcome any monster truck, or tank, for that mater run over it, and be confident enought to be able to plug n' play.