Countryman Type 10

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by metron, Jul 23, 2013.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Just got a shiny silvery new Countryman Type 10 in the mail today. I'm really looking forward to hearing how they have improved my trusty Type 85. Type 85 has always given me killer results with both electric and upright.

Anyone have experiences to share about the new improved potentially next industry standard direct box?

Attached Files:

2. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

Nice! I'd love to learn more about the 10. They really don't give you much on their site. Please report back... I'm sub'd to this one. :)
  3. metron

Yeah their site has always been pretty minimal. Largely sticking to specs and the bottom line is ok with me though. :)

I had a chance to hear it tonight with one of my bands. Not recorded but monitoring through the board. I won't pretend like I can compare it to the 85 from memory but Im used to the 85 and this is definitely a Countryman. It sounded perfectly neutral yet full. All the highs and lows you want but it seems even across the spectrum. Seems like lots of headroom. The power test switch was immediately useful. Phantom power is on! I think the battery indicator is green or red for low voltage. Nice feature.

My takeaway after day 1 is that this seems like a qualified candidate for a type 85 replacement (though mine isn't going anywhere). A side by side AB test will probably be necessary to say which one has a "better" sound. Unfortunately Im not sure when I will be able to get to that. For now I plan to leave one at each of my band rooms.

Nothing to complain about so far except Im not sure how much I like the mini toggle switch on the input pad. Those seem a little fragile to me but I guess the reality is that it won't be used too often. Small gripe for a really really nice sounding box.
  4. JFOC

JFOC

Im curious about the speaker input. Do you just flip the switch so the pad is at -30db?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metron

Yup! Also make sure you have it loaded if connecting with a tube amp that way.
  7. metron

Recorded with the Type 10 a few times so far and I can only reinforce my first impressions. This thing has really nice clear sound, noise free, lots of headroom and impressive dynamics. Just like the Type 85! :D I guess I don't really get into the minutae of tone quality that some around here can describe but this box is top notch. No way I could easily differentiate between its older sibling and a real comparison of the two would definitely require a careful side by side. If I ever need another I would get the 10 just for the power test switch and also because it's shiny silver. Actually I wonder if they will phase out the 85 eventually...
  8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

The Type 10, according to specs, has a broader frequency response, is cleaner and quieter. I have a Type 85 I've been using for years. I don't notice any noise or distortion at all. Great box.
  9. metron

I agree on the 85. The 10 is definitely at least it's equivalent but like I said and without looking at specs, very difficult to tell if the 10 bests the 85.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it seems like the 10 has a thin lacquer finish on it, perhaps for scratch resistance. Either that or its very polished but I don't think so since its obviously brushed Al.
  10. metron

After having used the type 10 here and there since the summer for a few gigs, monitoring, and recording, I will conclude that I still can't tell the difference between it and the type 85. The sound never leaves something to be desired. In fact when I use these boxes, I completely forget about them because they just deliver. I will say that the addition of the power check switch is definitely worth the extra money and would be the reason why I would recommend the type 10 over a type 85.
  11. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Next gig or recording:
    Use 2 channel inputs - one for each box and have the sound man / engineer switch back and forth between the two with flat EQ.
    When tracking, put both on separate channels and erase the one you like least.
    I am curious to know if there is and audible difference worth talking about.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you do that remember that the 85 is pin 3 hot and the 10 is pin 2 hot.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Eh? Shouldn't both 2 & 3 be hot, being balanced DI boxes?
  14. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

Yes, but assuming the Type 85 is still "pin 3 hot" the XLR outputs are wired opposite phase. On the 85 pin 3 is positive phase while pin 2 is negative phase. It's the opposite for the 10.