1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Couple o' recording method ?s

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by cervusflies, Dec 13, 2012.

1. cervusflies

cervusflies

I'm a DI newb...
    I've got a cheap "CGM clear line passive direct box" DI that doesn't seem too noisy. It's got a lo-imp xlr output, a high imp input, a high imp output and a ground lift switch. I used it to track a bass line and then used a direct instrument input to track the same bass line at similar input levels (-12db) for sound comparison. Raw samples attached.

I had to increase the trim quite a bit on the Firestudio Project interface that I'm using to get the DI level to match the inst level.
    Is that normal?

At first listen, the DI sounds smoother, and the Inst. input sounds a bit more edgy. Is this a trait of DI?

Also, I've got an SVT rig that I could drag in here and use to mic up with my SM7b, but that cab is ridiculous. Could I use the SVT 4 Pro head to track directly, bypassing the cab? Bass/SVT/DI - DAW? Or should I just suck it up and bring the 4x10, 1x15 in the room and ugly up the place?

Attached Files:

2. oniman7

oniman7

I'm not familiar with that head. Is it solid state or tube? If it's solid state, you should be able to use a line out to record straight into your DI. If it's tube, it will need to be connected to a cab or dummy load. That's also dependant on it having a line out. In a pinch, effects sends and headphones out can also work.
  3. cervusflies

cervusflies

It's tubular. It's got a line out, too. Thanks.
  4. oniman7

oniman7

Since you'll have to drag once cab up anyways, try micing it and taking the line out to blend the two signals
  5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

The svt4 is solid state power amp so I think your fine not connecting a cab. Personally I would use the di off the head as one track, and that sm7 on the 15.