Couple of gear qu's

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi Justin

Figured I'd ask in one thread over many ;)

When recording with a b-15 do you ever run it without a cab (seen a couple of pics that would suggest you do) if so, how so?

What are the pedalboards looking like these days? Do you still rock the 2 big custom boards for the studio?

Without sounding like a would be thief, what do you keep around the house, for practice, small gigs?

I know in the past you've said generally you don't practice much because you're playing all the time, has that changed now you produce more?

Favourite DI?

Go to DI if different?

When in Juan's pedal den of sin ;) do you have more or less than him in the collection?

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

What up Tayste:

"When recording with a b-15 do you ever run it without a cab (seen a couple of pics that would suggest you do) if so, how so?"

No. I always use it with a cab. FYI many years ago I commissioned Ampeg to make matching lids (which exactly mimic the "base" of the head), for three of my B-15's. When you take the head off to place it near you (and the cab in an iso), the cab is still sealed with the matching lid locked on to it, a sound I far prefer. I take full credit for this ridiculously simple invention/concept which many people have since followed suit on. :)

"What are the pedalboards looking like these days? Do you still rock the 2 big custom boards for the studio?"

Yeah, but everything needs a rework. I pull stuff off of/put new stuff on my boards with frequency, so I need everything re-done power/signal wise so it's cleaner but also more modular. The relatively small Beck live board is the cleanest one I have in play at the moment.

"Without sounding like a would be thief, what do you keep around the house, for practice, small gigs?"

This super crappy Line 6 practice amp that I love, for some reason. And one of my B-15's. My storage space is close, so I get stuff out of there for gigs.

"I know in the past you've said generally you don't practice much because you're playing all the time, has that changed now you produce more?"

Nope. I suck.

"Favourite DI?"

Palmer Tube or Reddi.

"Go to DI if different?"

Not really, except I like the Radial JDI's live a lot. A bit of a faster sound that I enjoy.

"When in Juan's pedal den of sin do you have more or less than him in the collection?"

I'd venture to say less. Although I haven't counted my pedals lately: I have five full boards and four large plastic storage bins full of pedals too. Quantity is unimportant to me, I'm all about using stuff and keeping it only if it's something I envision a use for.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    And what's on that?

Thanks for the info, I like the b-15 solution, do you just use an xlr to extend the cable?

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

I've covered it elsewhere, but here it is again: heavily modded Line6 M9, Diabolik, VT Bass Deluxe, Rusty Box, Octamizer, GUyatone MD2 & PS3, Microtubes B7k, Korg Pitchblack, and one or two other things.

Yes, XLR cable or custom made, depending on which B15.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Sowwy :bawl:

I am surprised :D going to get mine next month

Was that the Korg MS20 i saw you rocking on SNL?

Thanks again