Couple of questions about Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jg42, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jg42

jg42

In my search for a fretless 6, I ended up on Carvin website.

1. Icon 6 vs LB76 - I understand that Icon is neck thru as opposed to LB. how different are they tone wise?

2. Neck thickness: I have small hands and wondering if Carvin's necks are much thicker than Ibanez SR? Is neck thickness identical on Icon and LB?

Thank you!
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

1. That is incorrect. Both models are neck thru. The bolt-on models are the SB series and B40/50 models.

Cant comment on item 2
  3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Both the LB and Icon are neck through, as Mark stated. Ask 10 bassists about the difference between neck through and bolt on and you will get ten different answers. There are many long threads here on talk bass, so I would look those over. I personally think neck throughs might sound a smidge "smoother" and bolt ons a little more "aggressive" or "punchy." The difference is not huge, and many will debate if the difference really exists. Mny people say htat neck throughs have more sustain, but that has not been my personal experience.

The necks feel the same on the Icon and LB series basses to me, but I have never measured them. I also only have first had experience with the 4 and 5 string models.

There are also many, many posts here on Talk Bass about Carvins, so I would search and read up on those. The Carvin forum at the Carvin site (www.carvin.com, then click on community) is also a good resource.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Let me add, I do have an Ibanez GWB35. But being a "signature" version of the SR design, I'm not sure if it's made the same as the regular SR models.

Having said that, the GWB35's neck has a slightly thinner profile than my LB76PF.

Edit: Check out the Carvin Owners Group thread.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

It's worth mentioning that Carvin doesn't offer a 6-string bolt on. Neck through is the only option for a Carvin 6er. Your choices are basically Icon, LB, BB, or XB series. The BB is like the LB but with an extended upper horn for balance. The XB is an extra-long scale version of the LB. I think the only differences between the LB and Icon are aesthetic, but I could be wrong.
  7. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I agree with the other guys on all. The only real difference sound-wise between the Icon/LB/BB series is just going to be the pickups that are chosen. I believe the neck blanks used are the same on all 3 instruments; the only differences are the headstocks and the body wings.

I have a BB76 and it originally had a fairly hefty neck. Mine developed a huge ski jump and required me to do a fingerboard levelling on it. That took off a mile of wood at the end of the day and now the neck is significantly thinner. I kind of like it this way more than the original thicker neck, but it's still a pretty nice neck overall. If Carvin made an asymmetrical version, it'd probably be perfect....

LS
  8. jg42

jg42

Thanks, everyone!

I've pulled a trigger on a 6 string fretless ICON. I didn't go all crazy on the upgrades, just some basic stuff. Got a piezo though.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Dude, I'm seriously excited for you! Don't hold out on us Carvin lovers, we need some specs! Finish? Pups?
  10. jg42

jg42

Thank you! :)

Custom Shop Instrument Details:
    IC6S - Icon Series 6-String Bass
    Right Handed
    PF - Fretless-P Series (Includes piezo bridge & blend control)
    TF - Tung-Oiled Satin Neck & Body
    MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body
    5MH - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Mahogany Stripes
    GNB - Clear Gloss Finish Back Of Neck (Standard)
    PH - Headstock To Match Body Finish (Standard)
    Ebony Fingerboard Black (No Streaking)
    Fretless Fingerboard w/ White Lines & Dots
    14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
    CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard)
    SP2 - 2 Soapbar Pickups (Standard)
    BLK - Black Pickups
    ABL - Abalone Logo

When I got this confirmation in the email, I've realized that I wanted black hardware - sent them an email, hopefully they can update the order.
    From what I understand sp2 are the same size as Barts p2 - it so happens that I have delano pups with pre in the mail from BBG, so if I don't like stock, they'll have to go.
  11. Bassist4Eris

Tung oiled mahogany, with five piece neck? Gonna be sexy! Please post pics when you get it. Regarding the electronics, it could go either way. Many swap out the electronics in Carvins, but I love the way mine sounds stock. They say the electronics have improved in recent years (mine's 2010). Sounds like you've got it covered either way though.
  12. ddhm

ddhm

Congratulations on the new bass :) Should be really nice.

I wonder, will the fret lines show through on the player's side of the fretboard?

You might also want to satin the back of the neck. Gloss always seemed sticky to me. It is easy enough to do after the fact though.
  13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Yes.
  14. jg42

jg42

Thank you! Just off the phone with them - they said if it's satined, there will be no gloss, so all is good! :)
  15. jg42

jg42

Will do! I was still not 100% sure about mahogany, but decided to try nevertheless. What is yours?
  16. COBRARI

COBRARI

Congratulations!
    It has been a few years but my first real nice bass was a Calif. Claro, Book-matched, walnut neck through.
    I am pretty rough with my gear and when I got my first ding on it, it was like having someone open their car door and chip the paint on your Ferrari.
    What I remember about the ease of purchasing the Carvin was just telling the guy over the phone what I wanted and
    within a couple weeks it was done. Sort of custom I guess.

One neat sound I can get from it is when I switch off the active electronics, it sounds like the traditional Fender Precision.

I also have a bolt on tung-oiled Carvin with a tremelo bar.
    Not much use for it but I couldn't pass up the price.
    That is the down side to Carvin. Wonderful equipment but
    it's resale can be as much as 50% the original price.
    It was used (perfect condition) and I got it on e-bay.
    Enjoy.
  17. Bassist4Eris

See now that I've asked for photos, I've got to *finally* comply with the "no pics no bass" rule and set up a photobucket account. Ladies and gentlemen, making her Talkbass pictorial debut, may I present Claribel, my LB76W (that's figured claro walnut on the top).

[​IMG]
  18. jg42

jg42

Nice! Figured walnut looks good! If you ordered now, would you get the same?
  19. jg42

jg42

Thanks!
  20. Bassist4Eris

Yep. I have no regrets. :)
  21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have an LB76 in swamp ash and the neck feels a little bit more beefy to me than my old SR506, nothing really major though it is still a thin shredders neck. I personally prefer a thicker neck but Carvin doesn't offer that. My neck is maple with koa stripes. My build was all about weight but I wanted some added stability beyond the one piece neck.

Good call on the piezo, it is really the shining point of the electronics in my Carvin and you will not regret it, especially on a fretless. I got the radiused humbuckers, though I do find them bland/lacking character I have really come to appreciate them, they shine through my new fEARful 1212/6. I even enjoy them in passive.

You opted for no HFC? If I was getting a fretless I would get it done, I don't think it is an option 50 anymore either. Although I am just another Jaco wannabe.

[​IMG]