Couple of questions about Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by _somedude, Nov 19, 2012.

1. _somedude

_somedude

Hi.

I have a couple of questions about building a Mesa rig. I'm kind of gear stupid so if I sound out to lunch I apologize now.

All I currently own is a Godin 4 stringer with a passive P style neck pickup and a J style bridge pickup. I sold off the rest of my bass gear back in 2005.

I'm looking at either the Big Block 750 or the C9. I can't easily try them out first so I need to learn as much as I can up front.

I'm fairly certain that I'm after a fatter rock tone. Alice in Chains, Melvin's, Metallica... Stuff like that. I need something that will sit well with a Dual Recto in the mix.

Also, I need some suggestions on what cabs to match with it. I'd like something semi portable...enough to use as a monitor, but I also need to be able to scale up as many of the venues around town are small rooms that have minimal PA systems that don't carry much more than vocals. I've used 8 and 15 inch speakers in the past but have no experience with the 12 inch speakers Mesa has and am wondering how a pair of their 1x12s will perform?
  2. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I've been playing Mesa gear almost exclusively for about 10 years.

I have had the M2000, M-Pulse 600 (4 times), Titan V12, Big Block 750, 400+, the M9 and just downsized to the M6. I can say that unless you want/need the Graphic EQ and onboard compression of the M9, get the M6. All the same tone, still freakishly loud and you still get the "Voice" controls.

I've played all sorts of stuff but currently play downtuned "current" radio style rock, and honestly the clarity and punch of the Carbine series works best for me. I really liked the Titan too but honestly didn't keep the BB750 that long. Just didn't jive for me like it does other. I was instantly hooked on the Carbine series upon firing it up.

In my last cover band that played some of the stuff you mentioned I had the Titan V12 through a Powerhouse 412 and it just ruled. I liked the dual channel and EQ thing and of course kept up with two 100W guitar heads with 412s. IMO if you can find a Titan V12 over the 750, get that instead. The native "tone" of the BB750 though will get you way closer to what stuff you're playing than the Carbine though.

Re: cabs, I have two of the Powerhouse 212's so it's a modular "412" setup. The single 12" cabs I've heard perform quite well, as I know just one of my 212's does. If you're playing against one Dual Rec half stack, I'd think the 2x112 setup would be fine. If it's more than one, you probably will need more cabinetry.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Another Mesa player here. From what you describe, I'd go M9 Carbine and a pair of 8 ohm Powerhouse 2x12's. Use one for small gigs, and 2 for all-out mayhem. The BigBlock 750 has a "more tubey" tone, but way less balls than the Carbine. If you want dirt, add your favorite distortion/od pedal.
  4. _somedude

_somedude

I've read that the M9 pretty much explodes through the cabs. That sounds pretty appealing but I was wondering if it'd be too clean for my purposes? I also want to be able to get gigs with some classic rock style bar bands since they typically get more business.

About the M6 vs M9... How good is the compressor on it and is it worth having? I'll admit that a big part of the reason I'm looking at the M9 is because it seems to eliminate the need for outboard gear (unless I want dirt).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I have no experience with the M9 or M6, but I definitely agree about getting two Mesa 2X12 cabs. One cab would be more than enough for most smaller/medium sized gigs unless you guys play way too loud, and two of them would be awesome!
  7. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    The M6 will certainly give you the ability to cut through a very loud mix of distorted guitar. It has a lot of clarity, headroom and attack. Definitely fat but very clean. To get the tone you described, I would either try cranking the gain to get some warmth from the tube preamp or use a quality overdrive to simulate a gritty rock tone (the Earthquaker Devices Monarch or Smallsound/Bigsound Mini are both great for this, IMO). The M6 paired with a 4-ohm Mesa 212 cabinet has worked for any size gig I've played. I also use my M6 with a Bergantino HD212 which is another great combination.
  8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I own and use a Powerhouse 112 cab right now. It's pretty loud, I'd love to have another one.

When I hear Dual Rectos (or anything relating to potentially super loud guitar rigs), I tend to think bigger bass cabs. I'd start with a 2x12, maybe get another down the line! A pair of PH 1x12's might get the job done, but I take no chances when it comes to loud guitar players.

Mesa will get the job done but I am pretty sure the bands you mentioned are just about all Ampeg users. Ampeg stuff generally has the right voicing for rock/metal and Recto's etc but I find most Mesa rigs to be a little more aggressive, brighter, and up front. An Ampeg head through a Mesa cab usually sounds killer too.
  9. _somedude

_somedude

I notice everyone is recommending cabs with 12" speakers. I remember the 8x10 being the gold standard with the 6x10 and 4x10 being close behind it.

Has something changed over the last 5 or 6 years?
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah more and more people are understanding that driver size has little to do with the sound of a cab. Its about the design of the speaker and the cab around it. The Mesa 412 is a beast of a cab to boot.

That said nothing requires you to match the brand of your cab with the brand of your amp. I think a M9 paired with a fEARful 15/6 would be a killer light weight rig, stand up to a 610 in volume, and have incredible "cut through the mix" ability while still handling the huge lows the M9 throws out.
  11. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

I ran the BB750 with a powerhouse 1000 (4ohm) with a standard Warwick Corvette and it was pretty crushing in tone-and weight! The BB750 was extremely transparent in tone-almost too "thin/bright" honestly. I havent had the pleasure of the Carbines but have heard great things-Id start there and try it out!! Remember this- the BB750 is "only" 550 watts through 4ohms- if you get a 2x12 as i did @ 8ohms it drops incredibly to ONLY 280watts.. gotta have a 4ohmer if you go single 2x12--8ohmers if you double em'..or find a ph1000-*or1200 or a sick 2x15 (had this too-my favorite) and crush everything!
  12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Cab tuning and efficiencey has come a long way. And Mesa's 12's have been kicking butt.
    I have a Mesa 810 and really like it. I also have one Mesa 212 and really love the sweet tone of that cab more. I do all my big club playing with the 810, but that will only last until I can find another matching 212 as I'd rather club with a modular setup, then the 810 will sit at home and only come out for outdoor shows.
    My 212 can get it done in small clubs but I just don't like pushing cabs like that in bigger places.

But also remember, the BB750 will only make full power at 2ohms. The Carbines do it at 4ohm.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

410, yes - 610??? - I'm a bit doubtful of that...

- georgestrings
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just have the M3 but man from the first noted I played it was perfect I won't play thru anything else.
  15. georgestrings

I see the OP mention a "fat rock tone", and just don't think of the Carbines that way - although my M-pulse 600 nails that pretty good... I have a Triple Rec halfstack on both sides of the stage in my band, and this works pretty well thru all that:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

George that's Oprah fat!!!! very nice
  17. georgestrings

Well, then you'll love this:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Just looking at driver displacement, the 3015lf has a 846cc displacement. Depending on your choice of 10" speaker, the Emi can match that. Its not a hard and fast rule, but its pretty indicative. And I will go with Alex, Greenie, and bfm on their appraisal of max SPL.
  19. georgestrings

I don't doubt that a 15/6 puts out alot of volume, but do you think any of them directly compared one to a PH610 or Goliath Sr???

- georgestrings
  20. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    below 100Hz? absolutely.
  21. georgestrings

Now you're goal post moving...

- georgestrings