1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cover Bands and Recent Hits

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Dec 3, 2013.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Swore off classic rock cover bands at least 15 years ago. Figured I couldn't add anything that hasn't been done to those tired tunes, that are close in age to becoming eligible for Social Security benefits as I am.

IMO, there is an emotional attachment to music of an era, be it high school, Iraq, whatever. We freely associate good/bad times, perhaps even youth and vigor with them. While certainly there are anthems of rock/alt/R&B that transcend their eras, largely we like what we liked at some meaningful time in our lives.

I came back to the Classic bands about six months ago after a ten+ year hiatus in Real Book jazz and working rhythm sections in showcases for Craigslist American Idol wannabes, and some legit original artists, mostly from the often criticized neo R&B genre.

Surprised to find the number of bands that exclusively play classic tracks, some of them specializing in the obscure B sides, album cuts. They won't play Kings of Leon or Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc.

It's my observation that 60 year olds don't go out as often as younger people, 25-40 years old, who are more likely to think of The Doors as Viet Nam era and they are right. For that younger audience a band needs to play their heart string music too.

For successful club work, at least IME, you'll need to cover tunes from the last twenty years including junk hits like "Blurred Lines". They all are modern versions of the guitar driven music of the classic era, just new faces and perhaps more importantly, new licks.