Cover for '51 P Bass style single coil pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lownote Floyd, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

I just have a thing about leaving the pickup exposed an am surprised no one seems to offer a cover for the bass version. Anybody know of a source? All they have to do is bunch 4 holes (or not to make it universal) and essentially widen the width of the the guitar version. I think someone could make some money on these.
  2. dmac1961

dmac1961

I'm with you. Given the fragility of the pickup, I'm surprised someone hasn't done this.
  3. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Huh? You can buy pup and bridge covers ebay or any decent guitar supply company. I have them on my Tele bass. They mount with two screws.
  4. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

Care to post a link? I have searched high and low, even ordered on off of Ebay and it didn't fit - too wide for my Seymour Duncan. I even asked a manufacturer who makes pickups for the '51 P bass and copies, and he said there is nothing available that fits and although there has been talk over the years about making one, no one has stepped up to the plate. Yes, link please. Thanks.

I am not talking about an ashtray cover, we all know they are available, I am referring to a cover, plastic or metal that goes over the bare pickup in the pickup pocket.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Sorry, thought you meant the ashtray. But why doesn't that provide enough protection?
  7. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

Plenty of protection I agree but I'd rather not make any holes in the body in case I decide to remove it.
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Just guessing, there might be such a small demand for those covers that no one wants to risk the expenses in making them.
  9. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

You could be right and I don't know what the tooling involves but once that's done, I would think the manufacturing cost would be pennies and you could really jack up the retail price. I know I would pay ten bucks or so for one.
  10. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

If you know anyone with access to a 3D printer I think it would be easy to model. You could even have it made in a color beside black.
  11. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

I sure don't have access nor do I know of anyone that does. But if it's that easy I say, "build it and they will come." Someone could make a nice profit on them. Like I said, I'd pay up to 10 bucks for one.