Cover manufacturers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'm looking for a cover manufacturer to recommend.
    I was looking at Studio Slips, LeCover and Tuki.

I really liked the Studio Slips "clamshell" design where the cab is completely enclosed.

I'm pretty ignorant as far as covers.

Opinions?
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I have been buying Tuki covers since the mis '90s, quite a lot over the years given my appetite for buying/selling! :D

I had them make me one clamshell style cover once for a SWR Bass Monitor 12 I used to own, and am considering the same for a couple of new cabinets I have/in the process of getting a second one. The Studio Slips seem nice from what I see on their website but they are pricy, so I plan to talk with Gary at Tuki first; they have had excellent customer service over the years.
  3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I too have used Tuki for years and Gary & Co are my go-to company for covers. I've also used LeCover and they are of equal quality, though I found communication and responsiveness better with Tuki, at least in my case. Plenty of people use LeCover as their #1.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Mike,
    I have a great cover that Le Cover made for my TC 112 it's protected that cabinet a couple of road trips, going in and out of the car. The cover was a custom order for KJung
    it fits perfectly, so their more than up to the task of making a quality covering, for a new design. My EA cabinets have Tuki, they've held up very well and they were great to deal with on the phone.

Ric
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The Studio Slips clamshell cover is my favorite.
  7. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Mike I had Le Cover make me a cover for the TC212 that you made for me and it is excellent. Well made and looks great. I would recommend.
  8. bobalu

bobalu

I've used Coveramp on many occasions. Their covers are stellar quality and their customer service is even better than their covers. Mom and pop operation with top notch fit and quality.

They do custom orders as well. Check them out before you decide.

http://www.coveramp.com/
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Mike

I like both LeCover and Tuki covers, they're good covers (been using them for years) - however, my newer StudioSlips covers are the very best, the workmanship is A+ and I like the material used much better, expressly when folding the covers to put behind the amps/cabs when playing. The puffier material (Tuki) doesn't fold as easy/well. Plus, I personally know Susan and she is really is a sweetheart, you'd like working with her.

Cheers,
    Joe
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

No direct experience here with either LeCover or Studio Slips. But over a period of several years, I've ordered several custom padded covers from Tuki Covers and have never been less than fully impressed with them. First-rate quality workmanship that's very sturdy and holds up well to rough use. Reasonable prices. Rapid turnaround. Highly recommended. :cool:

MM
  11. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla Supporting Member

I recently bought a cover from Custom Amp Covers. www.amplifiercovers.com They did a great job on a custom cover for my 610 LDS cab. Don at LDS recommended them. Great price and great service.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Mike,

Tuki and LeCover do many of the OEM cab maker's covers. The design and quality are almost identical between these two. I used to deal with Tuki, but they cut off retail customers for a while a number of years ago (I understand that are back to taking individual orders at this point), and I started using LeCover.

I continue to recommend LeCover. Larry is a great guy, and you get him on the phone when you call.

I was never a big fan of the clamshell deal. With rubber feet on the bottom of the cab, the 'slide it over the top' design works better for me and provided all the protection I've ever needed. IMO there.
  13. billbern

billbern

I can highly recommend LeCover. Ordered a cover for my TC115 Compact, fit perfect but didn't have cut outs for the new 4way side handles. I just mentioned it to Larry in an email. Couple days later I get a shipping notice from LeCover. New cover perfect fit, side handle cut outs Audiokinesis Logo. Great service.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

A cover of some sort goes a long way to protect a cabinet, even if it isn't going on the road. When you see a vintage amp in very good or better condition, chances are it has been protected by a cover. Covers also reduce fading of the grille cloth over time.

All three companies make a good product. A strap helps keep it in place when you are moving it. Padding helps prevent damage when you bash the cabinet into something but even the least expensive vinyl covers go a long way.

Customized embroidery of a name is something that some people will want on their covers.
  15. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I ordered at cover for my Marshall VBA400 head from D2F. Great service, fast delivery and easy contact through the process.
    I enjoyed my interaction with them.
    Fishheadjoe
  16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I'm a BIG fan of the D2F covers. Not only because of the quality, but they bend over backwards to make sure you're happy with their product.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Highly recommend Studioslips.

When I built my fEARful 1212/6 I knew what I wanted from my cover having bought several from other manufacturers. My cover has a velcro strap underneath to secure the cover, which is essential when wheeling. On that note, my cover has notches for the wheels so it can wheel standing. I got side covers with vecro flaps. I did not bother with velcro flap on the tilt back handle. They had a back pocket option, so I gladly got one of those. I also had mine double padded and finished in brown.

Susan was extremely easy to work with and was able to add all the modifications I wanted. The cover initially arrived without wheel cutouts or a back handle but Susan was super helpful and paid to ship it back to her and back to me, she was also nice enough to claim $0 on the return from service so I did not get dinged on customs. The cover was not cheap and did cost me some cash to import. I honestly couldn't be happier with the product and the customer service was awesome. For me customer service is king.
  18. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Yes, these folks are great! They'll get right back to you, very friendly, great covers! I use them & LeCover about equally.....
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Except for one cover for a SWR Bass Monitor 12 that was a clamshell style all my covers were like you describe and were/are great. However, I am getting tired of having to deal with setting them down on soggy, muddy, snowy ground occasionally, so I am seriously considering going back to covers with some kind of protection for the bottom of my cabinets as the new ones are fairly small making the clamshell style easier to deal with than it would be with a large cabinet. Especially so since my new setup may involve either one of the cabinets sometimes being inverted with the bottom facing up and the bottom side usually gets pretty messed up if it spends time in the above mentioned environments.

But, that is not the point of this thread. It seems from the above posts virtually all of the current cover manufacturers make quality product, so customer service and other considerations most likely apply here.
  20. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

+1 I've used both Custom Amp Covers and Lecover over the years and both are great to deal with.

Dan