1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cover songs with a 6 string?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CodeMonkey, Oct 24, 2013.

1. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

So, I've been playing a 6 string, and, while I love the room to putz around in the pentatonic for walking lines, I wonder if I should be doing more when covering songs.

Should I be doing more than grabbing the low E on the 5th fret of the B string?

Should I be adding lower / higher octaves here and there?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

You are going to get yourself fired. Crazy talk, this "doing more" thing, just crazy talk!

3. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

Seems weird to only play in the middle :)

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    On a cover song I tend to play the "iconic" bass lines in the register written, but I read each situation and play what makes sense for it. Living on the low B string or playing things up an octave because I can only reinforces some people's negative stereotypes about 6 string basses. You have to play the gig first, IME.

7. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

Thanks guys,

That pretty much sums it up :)

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Don't play notes just because they exist on your fretboard. Play the music. If the music wants those extra high or low notes, play them. But you've got to focus on the music, not the tool you happen to be playing it with.