1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Coverting a reg Guitar to a Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MEKer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Just as an experiment---what would be a good yet cheap regular 6-string guitar to easily turn into a med or short scale bass? Is it even possible? I mean, like going to a pawn shop and getting a cheapie that would be OK to butcher--not a new one.
  2. RobbieNuke

RobbieNuke

Dumb idea... don't waste the time/money.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Dumb post, maybe you should hang out somewhere other than Luthiers corner
  4. Hopkins

It would be rather easy to modify a 6 string to accept a 30" scale neck. It would just be a matter of rerouting the neck pocket and relocating the bridge.

While this was a ground up build, this might give you some inspiration. It's a 30" scale Strat bass I built for my niece
    [​IMG]

It would be wise to find a donor instrument with a hard tail bridge, because anything with a trem would leave you with a big gaping hole in the bass where the guitar bridge used to be.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Wow is that so beautiful.. it shut some mouths ;)

I've been entertaining that idea for years... only with a Gibson SG guitar
  6. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

My first dive into the world of luthiery involved converting my first acoustic, nylon string guitar into a bass. It had no truss rod, but I was too young and uninformed to allow that to stop me. I just filed out new slots in the nut, removed two of the tuners, altered the bridge and tail piece, and made an acoustic bass. Incredibly, the neck remained stable, and it played fairly well, if I recall. At some point, I traded it to a friend, so I don't know where it is now. I wish I had held on to it.
  7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Any and all. Really.

You just have to relocate the bridge and either de-fret it or relocate the frets as well.

OR...

You could go all the way and extend the neck to make it a full scale... ;).

Regards
    Sam
  8. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

This is awesome! Nice work!
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Mark Arnquist took Chris Ballow's SG and turned it into a 2 string bass, per Chris' request. It can be heard on the first POTUSA record.
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

That's REALLY helpful. Thank you. Now go tell that to those who have done it. And re Hopkins---I don't hang out here. Guess I won't even come back here. Sure do not want to insult anyones' intelligence.
  11. Hopkins

Wait what? My comment was directed to the guy that left the stupid unhelpful comment. I gave you my best advice in the very next post. :confused:
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman

Ah, the internet.

:bassist:
  13. suraj

suraj

hahahaha... FAIL
  14. zenman

zenman

premature rage-quit
  15. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Invoke Godwin's law here...
  16. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

interesting thred, I wonder where it ends up
    [​IMG]
    AHHHHHH !!11
  17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Lol--apologies, Hopkins. I mis-read you and appreciate the couple good tips from here. And you did beautiful work by the way.
    Figured might be fun to mess with this project instead of buying a cheapie SX short scale.
  18. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eek: Hopkins, you malicious bastard how could you :eek:

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

What has worked well for me is to leave the guitar as is, slap on a Roland GK-3 hex pickup and plug it into a Roland GR-55 with the bass modelling enabled, and choose a P or a J bass to play on your gat.
    You can choose different tunings, i have a few guitar > bass patches where the tuning can start from E or down to B (like a regular 6 string bass).
    I don't use it much, only those times when I want to p*ss of the guitarist.. :bassist:
  20. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Did it with a Squier Bullet Strat. Plays great, needs better pickups.

[​IMG]