1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crack in Brand New Body - SR1206e

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SR Addict, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SR Addict

SR Addict

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask some educated opinions on what I might be dealing with here. I've already e-mailed the store manager from where I bought the guitar to see if there's an exchange that can be done, but if that falls through, I want to ask you guys...

I have a small crack in my body at the bridge (about 3/4-1" long), right beneath the B and there's a crack that leads right into the B mono rail saddle. Do you think this would be anything to worry about over the years? This bass is just shy of two weeks old in my hands, and was there when I got it, but I just noticed it a few days ago.

It's kinda disheartening to buy something from Ibanez's Premium line, and have to find something like this. If it weren't right at the bridge, I probably wouldn't even care. But I don't know what might happen to this in a year or two when its had a few seasons of temperature and moisture change.

Thanks fellas...

[​IMG]
  2. Tristan

Tristan

No idea, but take it back if its brand new. Unacceptable IMO.

I wonder about the current quality of these. I ordered one and had to return it and its replacement.

Is this from L&M? Mine were. 30 days no questions asked is there for a reason!
  3. SR Addict

SR Addict

Thanks Tristan. Indeed it is from L&M (I have a sick addiction!!). It's currently 13 days old, so I take comfort in the fact that you were able to exchange yours within a month.

It's a damn shame, other than this. Beautiful piece of bass. :p
  4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I wouldn't keep it without a big big discount. It's probably not structural but I don't know what lies underneath the crack.
  5. SR Addict

SR Addict

That's my big concern. Not knowing how deep/far it goes.
  6. TundraMan

TundraMan

Because the crack is in two directions (vertical and horizontal in your picture) it appears to be the result of an impact. Actual wood splitting usually runs in one direction with the grain. So in this case I doubt the crack would create long-term structural issues.

That being said, you bought a new bass so it should be in new condition.
  7. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Send it back. Get a replacement. It is brand new and should have no issues.
  8. Tristan

Tristan

That's what I said about mine, but both had their issues (electronics on the first and messed up neck on the 2nd). Hope you get a good one!
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Take it back to L&M. They should be able get a replacement in quickly if they don't have one in stock. I wouldn't keep it with crack.
  10. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I would be worried that over time one or more chunks of wood will come loose. It also appears that there is more to that crack if you look at the way it's following the darker colored area on the end of the body. It's either been dropped or, as I suspect is the case, there is a defect in the wood itself (possibly repaired at the factory before finishing???)
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Take it back immediately. L&M will return it as long as they don't think you did it. I have returned stuff to L&M for a full refund for merely not liking it.
  12. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Send it back for a replacement! If it bothers you even a little now, it may bother you more later on. By then it will be too late to exchange it. You paid for a new bass in new condition, that's what you should get!
  13. SR Addict

SR Addict

This is true. I just noticed that... It looks like it may have been filled in, and then possible split even more...

Thanks guys. This sure is one amazing community here.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

Definitely return it. I've seen other posts regarding cracks in these, but that's usually from drying out. This is bad, especially since it is right under the B saddle.
  15. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I looked a little closer and noticed that the color along the crack closely resembles the color on the glue line where the body pieces are joined. You can see on the left side of the horizontal crack that there is a definite glue line that starts right where the separation ends. The possible repair is a little bit more obscure on the right side, but the crack is following it the same way there.
  16. SR Addict

SR Addict

Manager just to back to me. They now have a brand new in box SR1206e put away for me. Not sure if it will count as NBD, though. :p

Thanks again, fellas!!!
  17. Tristan

Tristan

Let us know how the new one is please! Enjoy!
  18. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Water can get in there & cause problems.How deep is it really ?
    Will it get bigger in time ?
    Take it back if you can.
  19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Diff return if for replacement or refund.
  20. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I'd take that right back. The last time I picked up one of these, the top was separating from the body wood near the bridge. I actually thought it was a cool bass until I discovered that little problem. The repair shows they knew about the problem - they should have at least marked it blemished or factory second.