crack in finish on Lakland that's growing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joenoone, Jan 31, 2014.

1. joenoone

joenoone

Hi,

So I noticed a while ago a small crack in the finish on my 10yr old Lakland Skyline on the horn near the strap hook that I have slowly watching grow over the ensuing weeks (it was originally only ~1/2"). I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Yea, I know the standard answer is "take it to an expert" but I'm short on funds.

I've seen various videos and discussions where they recommended filling it with either high-viscosity superglue, lacquer, varnish, or something similar and then wet-sanding it. Ok, I say, I could do that but which do I use?

Searching TalkBass I find generally people say "cracks are character in a bass, just leave them" but this one is growing so I need to do something soon. Any ideas on how to fix this?

[​IMG]
  2. staindbass

staindbass Gold Supporting Member

hi. to stop the crack from traveling you might drill a small hole( by hand) with a 1/16" drill bit through the finish right at the tip of the crack. yeah its a horrible idea but if no one comes up with another solution at least it won't keep growing longer :)
  3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Flow thin superglue into it. It's too narrow for high visc CA to flow into.

You will then need to wet sand and polish to finish it off.
  4. joenoone

joenoone

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought CA was just the generic term for Superglue?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    You are correct. Super glue is a brand name for CA (cyanoacrylate) glue.