1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Crack in Poly

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GKR1, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GKR1

GKR1

My bass has a crack on her now. It was not stored in cold or heat. Its a 2001 fender hot rodded P bass. USA made.

Is this covered under warranty? If not what is the cost to get it fixed. I do not want chunks coming off. Could the wood under be compromised? :meh:

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. pfox14

pfox14

That looks like much more than just a crack in the finish. Could be a crack in the body. Is it still under warranty? I would get that fixed ASAP.

3. GKR1

GKR1

Why would the wood crack?

4. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Hopefully its not the seam in the body where its glued. Did you ever notice if it was small and quickly grew? Does the crack begin where there is any pressure on the body? It's abnormally warm down south right now. The cold/warm temperatures can do strange things to finishes and cracks can grow fast.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Often, a straight crack running down the body could indicate a seam separation (where two pieces were glued together). Wood joints can fail because of insufficient glue or just stress on the joint. It happens, but hopefully it's under warranty. Is it?

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

This could also occur if the wood was not adequately dried before joining.

8. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

That is a joint separation.

9. GKR1

GKR1

I'm the second owner of this bass so I do not think its under warranty. You guys sound pretty sure that this is a seam/joint separation! that is not what I wanted to hear but it could be.

What is a cost of this operation to fix it correctly? I was hoping someone would say its just a poly cracking due to age.

10. GKR1

GKR1

Took it to luthier. He did a liquid test on crack. Its just poly crack. He also said that seam split creates jagged edges. This crack is smooth.

Anyhow its getting fixed for $100.

You guys always assume the worst. I was worried. Phew.

11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I have seen small cracks in a finish filled with superglue. Superglue will polish out really shiny just like the poly.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Glad it turned out for the best. In regards to the warranty, Fender has lifetime warranty on their necks but not the bodies, I am pretty sure it is transferable but don't quote me on that.