1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

crack repair question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by madmachinist, Jan 31, 2014.

1. madmachinist

madmachinist

ok , it's not a bass (1930's Martin -A flatback mandolin) , but it has a 3" hairline crack in the lower -mid left of the rosewood
    back . i don't want it to spread and become a split .

it is a roundhole instrument , so i could possibly glue in a patch
    from the rear if i had to access it .

my thoughts are :

a) vee it out , superglue the crack and fill it...

b) keyhole it on the ends with a small hole
    fill the crack and leave it alone

c) patch on the inside and fill the gap on the outside with
    shellac

some stock photos of (not my) instrument:

http://www.denverfolklore.com/instrument_photos/Martin_A_Model_mandolin_photos.htm

any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

First, here is a great resource where you are likely to find more info than a forum that mostly covers solid body electric instruments:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forum.php

Second a 1930's Martin is way too good of an instrument to be learning repairs on.

Third evaluating a crack and the best way to repair it involves looking at it, preferably in person but good pictures are a huge help.

Finally, hairline cracks are not unusual in the winter. It may heal itself if you get a room humidifier.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Professional help is indicated.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

The proper way to fix a crack like that is a glued in thin piece of rosewood (usually called a cleat), which can be done through the sound hole. I would take it to a good luthier to have the work done.
  5. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Don't even need to V it out. Get yourself two bar clamps with soft tips and glue it and clamp it quickly. I use Super-thin super glue for these type of repairs.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1 to no guessing or OTJ training here, you get one shot to get it right.

+1 also to talkbass being an odd place to even ask about it! the fact that you asked it here frankly makes me even more inclined to second the "let a pro do it" advice.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+10000
  8. P Town

P Town Guest

"+1 also to talkbass being an odd place to even ask about it! the fact that you asked it here frankly makes me even more inclined to second the "let a pro do it" advice."

Hey, don't be so quick to say this is the wrong place.

There are a LOT of VERY SMART people on this forum.

I have been thinking of asking for medical, investment, and legal advice here.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Please keep in mind that any such advice is worth exactly what it cost you. ;)

What stands out to me is that this is indeed a repair you only get one shot at. I would either do one helluva lot more homework than posting on an Internet forum, or take it to a pro.
  10. P Town

P Town Guest

I've paid big bucks to professionals for advice in all three areas that turned out to be worthless.