cracked rib

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by carolinetp, Mar 18, 2014.

1. carolinetp

carolinetp

Hi all,
    This is my first post, so please bear with me! :)
    I've been a serious bassist in my life, but I don't play very much anymore. I have a bass that I'm getting ready to sell, and I today I discovered a crack in the rib (shown in the image-- it's difficult to see). It's been a difficult winter here in Michigan, and since I haven't been playing at all, I haven't noticed. Obviously, it's always alarming finding things like this on our instruments, and since I don't have time to take it into a luthier (unless of course it needs immediate attention), I wanted to see if any of the knowledgeable folks on here could give me some idea of how serious this looks, and what it may take to patch it up.
    Thank you!
    [​IMG]

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

That should be a cheap fix. Three of mine cracked this winter.

The cleaner and newer the crack is, the more successful the repair is likely to be. Even rubbing some thin hide glue into the crack and wiping the excess off the varnish should be enough to stabilize the crack and keep it from traveling.

3. carolinetp

carolinetp

Phew, thank you. Yeah, it's definitely been a tough winter for string instrumentalists (and everyone living northward!).

4. 360guy

360guy

Carolinetp, I'm in the Lansing area and I've got a workshop. If you're nearby and want it accessed I'd be happy to assist you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

:meh::meh::meh:

go visit 360 before that small crack turns into the liberty bell....

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

7. carolinetp

carolinetp

360, thank you for your generous offer! I actually have a guy that's pretty close that can look at it for me, so I'm planning to just take it to him.
    And James, I realize that sounds negligent. I really meant that I didn't have time immediately; it is certainly a priority for me! I mostly wanted to feel out how freaked out I should be.