1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cracking Finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I have a bass, and the finish is cracking a bit on the upper horn under the strap pin. is there a way I can have that fixed, sort of like patching it back down, or would I need to just have that segment re-finished? I'm really not too fussed about it peeling off, since the reason the previous owner sold it was because it wasn't getting played, and I'm glad to put it through its paces, but I guess I was just wondering if there's a simple way to have that corrected.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Pic please? It depends on the severity of the crack.

3. megafiddle

megafiddle

Thin super glue (cyanoacrylate).

Apply it so it wicks into and under the cracked area. The thinner it is, the better
    it will flow into the cracks and under the finish, by capillary action.
    The really thin stuff is Loctite 420, but I'm not sure if it's available in small quantities.

If it is a nitrocellulose finish, acetone will dissolve and reflow the finish. But you have
    to be careful not to get any acetone on the surface of nitrocellulose lacquer as it will
    attack it.

You should use a pipette to apply either.

If you can't easily find what you need, someone should be able to do that type repair.