1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

cracks in the finish of new bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MonsterWeapon, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MonsterWeapon

MonsterWeapon

Hi guys
    I'm kinda new and don't know much about this topic so i hope you can help me..
    I recently bought a bass online and when it finally arrived it had 2 small "cracks" in the paint/finish on each side of the body near the neck. Can't feel it when i touch it but it's visible. Tried to upload pictures but it says i don't have permission to upload pics. I can email them though.

How serious is this? What are your opinions, should i return the bass and get a new one or ask for a price reduction?
    Is it something that affects the sound?
    And have you seen this before.

I'd really appreciate ANY advice!

2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

What kind of bass is it? Where did you have it shipped in, and what kind of finish is it?

What's the weather like where you are? I just had a Spector Euro 5LX shipped into Canada from the USA and the drastic weather changes and careless handling of my package my bass arrived with several superficial cracks in the gloss finish. They are not down to the wood and the tech's I've spoken to locally don't wanna do the work because the whole bass needs to be refinished, but I want to get it taken care of. If you post more info maybe someone else can chime in.

Here are some pics of the damage to my bass:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I've got the same cracks near the neck pocket of my P Bass. Not sure if it's cosmetic or structural but I have been playing it that way for over 5 years with no problems. I have only had to tweek the truss rod one time since I got the thing and that was right after I got it.As you can guess , I'm not too much of a fanatic about my action but this one plays fine and I haven't noticed any changes other than seasonal with it. With no pic , I can't be sure yours is the same thing but I thought I would chime in anyway. I bought mine used (it's a 2000 model.) If yours is new , you might want to send it back or at least complain. A new bass shouldn't have cracks in it.

4. ZenG

ZenG

MonsterWeapon:- if you can post on your own thread I don't know why you wouldn't have "permission" to upload a pic........!!///!?

Unless it's got too high a KB content or something...

Is that what it says when you go into "Manage Attachments"?

5. Register to disable this ad