craigslist alternatives

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassjamn, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Looking around for any new musician finding resources, what's good these days?
    I've only had success with bandmix.com and craigslist but hoping there is something else out there online.:bag:
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Open mic nights to network.
  3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

got my drummer on bandmx
  4. mpayne86

mpayne86

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Have you put up posters around the neighbourhood?

[​IMG]
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I've found nothing on line. Wannabe's, hacks, retreads, dreamers ... no musicians. Face-to-face networking is the way to go. Open mics and jams, gigs by bands you admire, wherever music (of the kind you like) is being played ... show up, play if you get the chance. If you're any good someone will notice.
  8. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

I've found these Facebook pages to be relatively good resources. Our county has a local musicians Facebook page that has some good folks on it. Haven't recruited anyone from it yet...I think almost everyone I've found that has joined a band with me has been through Craigslist.
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The best way to find musicians to play with are:
    Not burning any bridges. You never know when someone might need a new member
    Stay in contact with former band mates
    Go to see bands and talk to the band members when they are on break
    Go to open mic and jam nights. I know a guy who started doing this in the 1970s. He developed a reputation for being a great player who was easy to get along with. He has since played with John Entwistle, Mark Farner, Jack Bruce, Alan Parsons, Todd Rundgren and many others
  10. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Nobody has mentioned mymusictown.com.

I recently found this site and opened up an account (free), and within 48 hours I was contacted by a blues and rock band one town over looking for a bassist. I'm not looking to move, but for some reason it got a quick hit.

But I agree with the others. CL, BM, they all seem like a bust. Lots of head cases, lots of problems. I think the best way to find a band or find musicians is through networking with other locals. Open mics, calling musicians you know, getting the word out there in the local music scene, staying in touch with past bandmates, etc.
  11. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

I just happened to stumble upon something new to me:

gigmor.com

Have not looked into it much yet, but it appears to help musicians find each other, among other things...
  12. Spectrum

Spectrum

My band found me on CL. I guess I must be a wannabe, a hack, retread, or a dreamer or something. Man, I must really suck! Maybe I should spend more money on gear, yeah, that's the ticket...
  13. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It does work for some people, I just haven't had good luck.
  14. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Problem with finding bands on CL and Bandmix is that more often than not, the bands who don't have full lineups are in that situation because they're not that great to begin with. Just gotta keep meeting as many people as you can through those services and remember all the guys and girls who actually were good. Eventually you may have have enough good contacts to assemble your own band with quality players.
  15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Sorry you took offense at my post. I was relating MY personal experience. Perhaps if I had met you my experience and opinion would be different. But I didn't, and it isn't.
  16. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

To Spectrum...it's not 100% mentalcases, but pretty close. Like I said...not 100%.
  17. Spectrum

Spectrum

Well, you might not be wrong. This being the internet, for all you know, I am a nutcase who can't play bass to save his life afterall!
  18. 4001

I find a LOT of bogus ads on C/L, BUT I have my second audition for a Who tribute this Wed. Found them on C/L looking for their next OX.
    I hope I get the gig. They are pretty good.
  19. bassjamn

bassjamn

thanks for all info all, I've had better luck finding/joining bands on craigslist then actually forming one(which i am currently doing with my bro on drums) this time around craigslist has been dissapointing in our guitarist search.

I prob should focus on open mics in my area but being in silicon valley i would expect more musicians to open up to an online outlets, but then again this is musicians i am talking bout...haha
  20. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    Craigslist is the only online band meeting spot that I've had luck with. Probably 95% of the responses I get on there are worthless but there have been several diamonds in the rough. As said before, a broken clock is right twice a day.
  21. thebates

thebates

I tried the open mike thing. Sat there with my bass case at my feet while 10 acoustics acts did there things. Some nice stuff but not a good set up for hooking up if you're a bass man.