1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Craigslist Ampeg semi-jackpot

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by entisgood, Jan 7, 2014.

1. entisgood

entisgood

Picked up a non-working Ampeg 810 cab from CL yesterday for $200. The person I bought it from got it at an estate sale in working condition, somewhere along the line the input jack was broken and never repaired properly.

I took the cab home, hooked up a new jack (the old one was basically crushed so no connection would be made with a cable) and the thing works and sounds sweet as hell. The jack plate is missing, so i took a peak inside the cab and saw the speakers with serial number 1377429. A little research revealed that I picked up a 1974 Ampeg SVT, first year with the "round" back and the last year they used the old CTS speakers, before switching to Eminence. Cab is not pristine but it's in reasonable cosmetic condition.

I a/bed the cab with my Ampeg SVT 810 HPC running a Kern IP777 through a QSC GX5 and the 74 was so much warmer. The HPC was punchy and mirangey and the 74 was fat and warm. Very noticeable difference.

So basically I got a vintage svt cab for $200 + a $0.87 jack and what will probably be a $5-10 back plate. I thought it would be an easy repair and resale piece, but it sounds so good I don't want to let it go.

Do you guys agree with my dating of the cab? What do you think its valued at?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the jack plate is missing you're messing with the tuning of the cabinet & possible driver damage.

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Don't know what it's valued at entisgood but IMO it's a good deal. Vintage SVT cab for $200.87. I'd hang on to it. I used a slant back SVT810 back in the 70's and early 80's with a V4B and to me, that was the best sounding rig I've ever had.

4. 10cc

10cc

For $200.87 I'd date her.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

Nice!!! If I died and my wife sold it in an estate sale, it would be one of those objects that would be haunted by me. Either that or my Fender Jag. Good steal! If you see the previous owner, tell him/her that you will take care of it and to just walk into the light.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I've told both my wife and my family that if I die unexpectedly don't sell anything until you get appraisals.

8. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Screw the 74, the HPC's are much rarer.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've made similar arrangements...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I think I have one of the original jackplates from one of those - it's like a mic jack, only 4 pins, IIRC... You're welcome to it, if you want it...

- georgestrings

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

It's now a vented cab, and one that wasn't designed to be so.

12. BurningSkies

By having a hole in the back of the cab, you're creating a 'port' and not necessarily in a good way. That unloading can cause damage to your speakers in the same way that running speakers without a cabinet can harm them.

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

14. BurningSkies

Remember, ports usually have both an opening and also a 'length' to them. This is just an opening. It sort of acts as an egregious untuned port.

15. BurningSkies

He could block it pretty easily. A piece of wood, plastic, something to seal it.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Worse, instead of acting as a port, sometimes smaller holes just act like you have a really bad overdrive pedal hooked up to it. Would definitely get it sealed up.

And yep, you scored big! The only speakers that ever have matched those CTS's for tone are the ones in the Heritage 810e. The downside is they take a lot less power than the H810e speakers, but I have a 73 flatback that sounds absolutely amazing and clearly better than any other SVT 810 cab I've used except the Heritage, so if you don't have a need for blowout volume, then you got what is considered a "deal."

:D

17. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Nice score. I picked up a Flatback last week for a great price too...although it wasn't $200.87! I am doing a remodel on mine. ;-)

18. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i sold my 71 for an HPC a few years back. no regrets, although i would love to pick up another old one maybe 73-74 with the tilt back.

19. entisgood

entisgood

Hey, lost track of this post for a while. if you still have the plate i'd love to take you up on the offer...

As an update to anyone else, I sold the hpc with no regrets. The hpc was a fine, super powerful cab, but for smooth, thick, pure bass sound, the vintage SVT killed it. HPC was cool for bass vi type stuff where you wanted a more punchy sound with a lot of low end but having two 810 cabs was a bit unreasonable for me at this point.

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It does have a length: the thickness of the back panel. :)