1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Craigslist buyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 137h4lone, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 137h4lone

137h4lone

So I have an amp for sale on my local Craigslist and I get a message from someone saying they are interested in purchasing it . He said the only thing is he needs me to ship it to him . I know this is sketchy right off the bat . Lol he says he'll PayPal me the cash all he needs me to do is wrap the amp in cardboard and send it to him. What the ?? Let me just add that it is a tube amp so you know why this would seem crazy. Im staying away but What do you guys think ? He said he'd send the cash before shipping but the way he wants it shipped is ridiculous.

2. 137h4lone

137h4lone

And I'm not trying to secretly sell my amp on talkbass lol

3. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

This is a common scam to separate you from your item. You will get these attempts whenever you try to sell an item over $300. Sometimes, they say they are servicemen in Afghanistan....yada...yada.

Rule #1.......Craigslist is for local, face to face, cash deals.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Meh. I tried my best to get someone to ship me an Ampeg SVTCL not too long ago. I told them I would Paypal the money and I would even pay shipping. Now he had a road case for it but I had told him the same thing you were told. He was worried about finding a box. I told him just to slap a shipping label on the road case or slap some cardboard on the outside and let it ship. He kept putting me off until he found a local deal. I got the impression he thought I was a scam as well. But I just wanted the stinking amp. Ha!

The point is you might just have an amp someone has been looking for. Talk to the dude on the phone and see if he wants it bad enough.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Yeah, talk to the guy on the phone for a little bit and talk gear or something to get a feel for the guy. If they're within the continental US, then the chance of it being a scam go down quite a bit. If they aren't telling long complex stories, it goes down even more.

If after the phone call you are still sketched out by it, don't do the deal. CL is supposed to be a local sales site, but there's always gonna be people doing nationwide searches for items that are not commonly found where they're located.

I've had people offer me payment in Gold for a dirtbike, to trade my Accord for a camera and a spy pen and tons of scammers with ridiculous requests. I would entertain a Paypal transaction if I talked to them over the phone.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Theres a pretty good chance its a scam. I ignore emails about shipping anything off craigslist. Its local cash only deals for me.

9. Figjam

Figjam

If you dont feel good about it, dont go through with it. Someone else will buy your amp.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Sounds to me that it's a scam. when it come to selling stuff on craig's list, never do the ups, western union, wiring cash thing. those are scams that'll have you get ripped off. never go for those things. when you're selling stuff on craig's list, deal locally. that's what I always do when I sell some stuff on craig's list. also never respond to emails where they ask you to contact them through the email address that they post. that's how hackers can get to your email. only respond to the emails where they leave a name and phone number. that's the best way to make a sale on craig's list.

11. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

+1

I've responded to Craigslist and kijiji ads in the states and I'm Canadian. If it's something the buyer is really looking for (a specific tube amp in this case), the buyer may be legit. I'd suggest a phone conversation too. Ask for his number and call him. If he's serious, he'll talk to you

12. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

I only consider shipping smaller items and put them on Ebay. Bigger items go on Craigslist and I meet people in a public place. Never at my house. I just deal F2F with Craigslist because of all the scammers. He may be legit but if you're patient and not overpriced someone local will probably buy it.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Scam. Just tell buyers that they need to bring cash to you - otherwise, bye-bye.