1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Craigslist Houston: Gibson G-3 Tribute ($250)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by ih8law, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

[DEL]I'm pretty sure this is legit[/DEL], notwithstanding the somewhat erroneous description. I'd buy it if I hadn't just blown my wad on a Gibson Les Paul Jr. bass. If I can't have it, another TB'er in Houston should snatch this up for the low price of $250 (I am not affiliated with the seller at all). Here's the Craigslist ad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit 1/23/2014: Given the posts below, it is highly likely this is not a legitimate listing.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm doubtful, though I'm no Gibson expert. I've never seen a Gibson instrument of any kind without the S/N pressed into the back of the head. If it's on this one, I can't see it.

Houston CLers also seem dubious. ;)

3. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I noticed that, too. There's a chance the s/n got washed out in the crappy picture, but if there is nothing really there then it's got to be a copy. I found some listings on rainbow guitars.com and reverb.com that showed headstocks with barely discernable serial numbers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, buyer beware and carefully check this out prior to purchase!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Wow, no kidding! :eek:

I can't imagine why the locals haven't picked up a $250 Gibson, though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Its legit. Even if it was a copy you could sell that case for $100. If i lived in houston I would be on my way right now .

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

15 hour round trip for me...tempting but gonna pass.

8. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

There have been several allegedly US made instruments on the Houston Craigslist lately listed for only $200 or $350. Every single one of them seems fishy and has the same style syntax. I'd beware, could be a phishing scheme.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yes, see the thread in Basses about the MM Big Al and a few other strange US basses with very low prices listed in Florida and NY all running back to the same female-name gmail addresses.

10. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

11. sears

sears

yeah, they'll reply telling you it's sold but to go to some other site where there are similar deals.. and they've also harvested your email address since you didn't go through the Craigslist remailer. Ask me how I know.

12. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I emailed the lady to ask about the serial number, and shockingly received no response. Luckily I used an alt email address I only use for spam protection.

I'm glad to know that this is likely a scam. I was kicking myself for not having $250 on hand to blow on a bass I don't need.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Good looking bass. I suppose I'd pay 250 for a knockoff w/ HSC if it played well & sounded good.

14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Some guy tried to scam me on a Gibson Les Paul. He really had it and was talking to me about it. Turns out the serial number was a number used on 1,000's of copies.