Craigslist vent....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Runnerman, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

3 times in the past week I have responded to CL ads. One time the guy texted me back and thought I was someone else then told me it was sold. The other two ....no response whatsoever.

It's just plain friggin ridiculous. By the way all three ads were fresh...same day...not dated at all. I honestly haven't had a good CL transaction as a buyer for about a year. Getting sick of it.

2. Milk

Milk

Tell me about it... I've had that a lot.

And on the other side....Its as bad trying to sell things. I can't tell you how many times people have flaked out. And that's after they made an appointment and everything. Yes, they'll show up tomorrow at 6, great. And so you make sure youre not going anywhere. And then...then you wait until 7 but they never show up. And sometimes you never hear from them ever again. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? First of all its disrespectful, and second, do you have attention deficit disorder? You want something one day and don't care at all about it the day after? When i want something, i want something. If i say i'm buying it, i am. If i say i'm gonna go and check it out, i do. Be serious.

Putting ads on either CL or Kijiji is so frustrating. And then that's without mentioning the people who just want to trade you things that aren't even of equal value. Its like look i know the value of the bass i'm selling, i say 350$ and that's what it is and then the guy is trying to trade me two things worth 220$ total? sorry i'm not into getting screwed. If eel the same too about people making ridiculous offers. I sell 350, you want to try at 300, ok sure. But don't write to me and say "i'll buy it for 200". Yeah you will, but i'm not gonna be selling it to you. I even gave him an opportunity to bargain and said i'd go down to 300$. You'd think he'd have tried for 250 so i coud have said 275. But no. He wasn't gonna bargain. He just expected me to want to let go of 150$

3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Yes selling also has its challenges as well. CL seems to attract a large number of douchebags period.

4. trunkshope6

trunkshope6

Ive had very good luck buying and selling on craigslist,there have been numerous times when i was just asked if it was still available and that's it. That is not so bad,it gets ur hopes up but its ok. I have been kind of guilty of doing that but i would never set up a meeting and not show up,its straight up disrespectful and a waste of time. Low ballers definately suck but then i think they are hoping the person does not know anything about the instrument or is strung out and looking for cash

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It's a crap shoot, and if you approach it like that, it's fine. I recently bought a used motorcycle from a Craigslist seller. Before finding the one I bought, I looked at several that should have been better bikes, but had issues. One looked like it had been rewired by an untrained monkey. It ran fine, but I really wouldn't want to be around the first time it got caught in the rain. I could rewire it without too much problem, but it would take the better part of twelve hours and probably a couple hundred dollars of parts to do it right. The next one was OK, but the seller discovered that he couldn't find the title and, oh by the way, the title was in the name of some guy from Alaska who sold it to him and... Oh, well. The one I bought had issues, too, but not as bad as the wiring, so it was the one I bought. Time consuming? Yeah. PITA? Yeah, but not really any different from the routine back when things got bought and sold by classified ads in the newspaper.

Those aren't musical instruments, but it's the same thing across the board. Some people, like the guy I finally bought from, will tell you pretty much everything right and wrong as far as he knows. He isn't you and won't necessarily care about what you care about, but he will be honest. Other people, like the guy with the wiring problem or especially the guy with the "lost" title are not going to be as honest. That's just the nature and range of people who exist.

7. bnolsen

bnolsen

I've done pretty well.

Early 2013 I bought a fine fluke ukulele for 80usd from a guy (guitard player) who was moving to japan.
    Early this year I sold a concert flea ukulele to a girl instrument collector who also happened to play bass. I had that on the market for2-3 weeks before anyone contacted me about it. I priced it at 105usd or so which is pretty low.

Not long ago I picked up a gretsch g2202 junior jet with hard case for 120usd. The seller complained about low ballers (stupidity the bass was basically new).

Last month I grabbed a peavey rockmaster single pickup electric guitar for 50usd for my daughter to use with rocksmith.

A couple of days ago I contacted one seller about a junior drum set for my son. He never replied, however the listing disappeared shortly after I contacted him.

If I had understood better about how to dosearches on craigslist earlier this year I would have probably gotten better gear locally. I finally figured out that the best craigslist deals sem to come from people who don't know how to properly make searchable titles for their gear.

8. TheBear

TheBear

Yup, welcome to Craigslist. I've been frustrated recently about scammers and email-harvesters getting smarter in their emails (no more "do you still have the item?", now "do you still have the original hardshell case?") but at least the scammers respond. I've since gone to text/call communications only.

I'm currently trying to sell a Mesa/Boogie halfstack and one guy haggled with me to get $150 off, then later says that his wife won't let him buy the amp. Okay, should of cleared that with the missus first but whatever. A couple weeks later he contacts me again and tries to get me to drop the price another $150. I tell him no and remind his of our previous deal, haven't heard anything since. Lessons learned:

• Know the price at which you'll just keep your stuff.

• Save all conversations in emails or text in case the buyer tries to start and stop negotiating or haggle via multiple emails or phone numbers.

• Gear forums and Facebook pages are for people who want a great guitar and a good deal. Craigslist is for people that want a dirt cheap deal and don't seem to care what the instrument is.

9. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

lol opposite for me (though the summer is very slow for buying so far). I've bought and sold countless basses and guitars with ease. Sure there are flakes, but there's no exorbitant prices like ebay.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've been having great luck as a buyer using CL. Granted, I'm only looking at and buying Fender J basses but it's a rare week I don't have at least 3 to choose from. And yes, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find the one that turns into a hot bikini model (or something like that), but as was already mentioned, aside from the format, it's not a lot different than scanning the old classifieds or free/low cost ad rags like the thrifty nickel. I've actually pulled some seriously good deals off CL.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav

I saw a 1960s Ric 365 guitar on CL Dallas this morning. Seller was asking $3125.00 - well, it is just like the one John Lennon played on Ed Sullivan.

12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

13. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

My CL woes have been up and down. Right now, they are on the down.

Posted up some gear a few weeks ago. Easily $500 worth of gear for $200, my first "buyer" haggles and haggles and I finally agree to knock $25 off of the stuff and let him have it at $175 just so I can be done with it. The next day, about an hour before we are supposed to meet up, I get the usual text "sorry, family emergency, can't buy it." That excuse would be easy to believe if it wasn't the 50th time I've heard it during my CL selling life.

Then I get a guy texting me at midnight last night with a lowball offer of $100. I didn't even bother responding.

These stories pale in comparison to some past frustrations. I'm just mentioning these since they are happening this week.

On the buying side, I messaged a guy about a guitar yesterday and another about an amp, no responses. I also love how people sell their stuff, but don't pull their ad. That's annoying too. CL is enough to make you hate people.

14. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Wow, that's a great deal! You could probably get $5000 easy for that on ebay if you were ever inclined to sell.

15. 10cc

10cc

Last week we had some lost gear safely returned thanks to our craigslist post. The money I was anticipating using to replace said lost gear went towards another craigslist find later that week. 1969 Acoustic 360/361.

I've sold and bought many things on CL. Everything I sold help fund new records. So I can't complain.

Also watched a 63 P all original/original owner go for $3000. That's pretty damn good.

16. klejst

klejst

Not always about music gear but other things as well this has happened to me a lot over the last couple years on CL. I'll call and leave a message as I get most people don't answer unknown number calls however then I'll either get a text later on or nothing. Then by the time I finally get a hold of the person the item is usually already sold or so I am told...Frustrating.

17. steamthief

steamthief

I've found a lot more lowballing on my basses for sale on TB classifieds than craigslist.

18. bnolsen

bnolsen

and then today I decide to finally break down and grab that squier bronco that's been up for more than a month. text messaging the price on CL is 60usd. guy initially texts 75, he may have a hard case to throw in, tell him i'm okay with the hard case. start heading towards his place: really dont have time to plug it in, lets do it outside. so i run back for a joyo amp and headphones.

the guy was fascinated with the joyo, had never seen a headphone amp like that. Sadly that amp boosted the single pickup noise (didnt bother me i got the bass for fiddling). The case: full sized hard case (fits my long scale 'p'), a bit worn. I tried handing the guy 75 he would only take 60 for it all. ugh. he was a professional bassist who had received a fender sponsorship and was cleaning house. 10 mins and out.

This is the 2nd bass I've gotten from a professional player, i should consider posting some observations on those in the setup forum.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've actually had great luck buying and selling on CL. There have only been 2 times where I had an issue. I had listed an Alembic Epic. A guy contacted me and asked me to meet him at his house so he could hear it through his own amp. Not an unreasonable request. I drove 45 minutes to meet him. He played the bass for over an hour and then asked me to take an amp in trade even though my ad clearly stated NO TRADES. I told him that I wasn't interested in trades and he informed me that he didn't have any money, even though he had told me had cash when we spoke on the phone. He said he was hoping I would take a trade. I told him that I was hoping he actually had cash instead of wasting my time and I left. Another time, I listed a 2007 Precision. Someone contacted me and we agreed to meet. He loved the bass and then tried to low ball me. When I said no. He then said his best friend was the bass tech for Robby Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls and he could get a bass from him for less than I was asking. So I asked why he responded to the ad when he had seen the price.

I have bought and sold about 50 items on CL and these are the only bad experiences.

20. tmdazed

tmdazed

i do not even bother with craigslist anymore , too many people sitting on a mountain of shite and calling it candy floss. kijiji has been my mantra for the last few years , I have found some KILLER gear deals on there