1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Craigslist was kind today- Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi Guy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy

Although I have a Gretsch bass that I love, I always wanted a voilin bass. I like the short scale and am a Beatles freak, so it kind of fits.

After looking around and reading reviews, I bought an Epiphone Voila. I've always had good luck with Epiphone guitars, so it seemed like a natural choice.

It arrived, I put Labella Flats on it and after a month of trying to love it, I realized I hated it.

I went to Bass Central last weekend, and was offered a sweet deal on a Hofner Ignition. The Hofner sounded and felt so much better than the Epiphone. Unfortunately every example in stock had numerous finish flaws, so I didn't make a purchase.

On a whim, I checked Craigslist and found a mint sunburst Icon with case for $350. Communication with the seller was spotty and then I lost his number- it must have been a sign. I waited for 2 days for him to see my email and call...nothing.

This morning, on a whim, I looked again on Craigslist and there was a black violin Contemporary series with case for....are you ready....$350.

I made contact with the seller within the hour and saw it within 3 hours...minty mint! I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough.

It's home, and has a new set of Labella flats. After a polish, it looks and plays like new. I'm stoked!