Cramped!

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Mattsochistic, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mattsochistic

Mattsochistic

Hello, I have been working on a lot of Mr. Wootens music and have been destroying my cuticles on my right index and middle finger from jamming them in between the 5th and 6th strings of my MTD 635. I am also getting cramped out right below my knuckle from all the pops! Any ideas, besides just working through it? Thanks for your time!

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

welcome to the "destroyed cuticle club!" :D seriously, i deal with that, myself when i play consistent slap bass. over time they have 'hardened', but they are still a mess. not really sure how to avoid it if your technique/anatomy/approach is conducive to your cuticles impacting the strings. cramps below the knuckle could mean that you are using too much force or tension, or it could be a result of your not staying relaxed when you play¬Ö hard to tell without sitting with you and watching your technique, but i hope that helps.

3. Mattsochistic

Mattsochistic

Thank you very much! Hopefully Fritter Boy will be my next study!

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Working through pain can cause permanent pain. You use muscles to play and overworking muscles without giving them adequate time to rest can cause permanent damage.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mattsochistic

Mattsochistic

Here is a video I just took of some of the madness. Thanks for the time and help.

7. adamnitti

adamnitti

honestly, after watching the video i don't really see any major 'problems' that stick out to me. your basic technique looks good. i think this may be a scenario in which you need to micro-analyze each movement and try and figure out how to maximize your economy of motion and effort, to make sure you are not forcing anything unnecessarily. it is also probably a situation where you will settle into comfort the more you practice. hope that helps!