Crate bx-215e? Or Some Other Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Redbowties88, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Redbowties88

Redbowties88

Hey guys, I'm a guitar player (a poor one at that) who was recently asked to fill in on bass for a friends band.

Seeing as I had 0 bass equipment I went out to the local thrift shop and picked up a Peavey fury 4 bass for $85 and I've been using that through my PA amp and PA speakers (amp is a Peavey xr600b 210watt@4ohm and 300watt@2ohm) for practice. Very ghetto I know...:crying:

I've actually been enjoying playing in this band and bass has been an unexpectedly fun change of pace. I'm considering making my position in the band a little more permanent so I'm going to need an actual rig.. starting with a cab.

I like my bass sounding clean and low as possible. The less high frequency's coming through the speakers the better. I actually play almost exclusively on the neck pickup. Taking this and my extremely small amount of knowledge I've decided that I'm going to look for a 2x15 cab for starters.. and that my friends leads me to the Crate bx-215. I found one local on CL that I think I should be able to pick up for about $130 or maybe a little less. Do you guys think that would be worth it? is it even a halfway decent cabinet?

I'm of course open to suggestions for others as well. budget is very limited and I'll definitely be buying used. I would like to stay in the $150 range (that's horrible I know) for now and possible upgrade later if we start to get more serious.

I appreciate any help and guidance, and I'm sorry for the novel :help:

2. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

The Peavey XR600B head sounds darn good for bass. I played one with a Peavey 215BW cabinet - sounded much better than the Mark IV bass head. I have recently been looking for a XR600B for a band spare. If you were close - I could fix you up with a 1x15 and a 2x10 cabinet !

3. Redbowties88

Redbowties88

Glad to know I'm not doing so terrible in the head department!

I actually picked that sucker up for $50 from a trashman I know. Apparently one of the local middle schools was throwing it out and he held on to it. I also picked up a sweet Danelectro u2 from the same guy some dumbass throw out because one of the solder connections on the input jack came off! The thing is mint!

Also, one of my bandmates has a beringer 2x10 cab with blown out speakers I could probably trade him a case of beer for. I just figured a 2x10 wouldn't be enough on it's own.

4. Redbowties88

Redbowties88

Well I'm gonna go meet the guy with the crate at 7 tonight and test her out.

Since I'll probably be using this xr600 for a while would it be beneficiary to make up a "Y" connector to run both left and right outputs into a single out?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Red,
    Drive up to Howell, I will hook you up with a Crate 2x15 cab for $100. Almost perfect shape.
    I'd bring it to ya, but I am not scheduled to work in Cape May for another 3-4 months.

Ken R

7. Redbowties88

Redbowties88

Crap I wish I'd seen that earlier! I ended up buying it for $120.

I didn't have a lot of time to fool with it last night because by the time we got it back to the jam spot it was getting on the late side and I didn't wanna piss off the neighbors too badly...

from what little time I did spend with it though it sounds pretty decent, or at least pretty decent for what I spent on it.