1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crate Electra Bass-Cheap, disposable, but good??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

I was at a Pawn store yesterday, not really looking for any basses. After all, I just picked up a MIM Fender Jazz Bass V a few days earlier.
    There was a p-bass copy next to an ESP model, I kind of chuckled looking at the headstock as it had "CRATE" on it. Amplifier company making cheap knockoff basses...
    Well, my hand invariably went around the neck of this bass and I couldn't let go as it felt so darn right!
    Ten minutes later, I just couldn't believe how good this thing played, it was set up correctly, and once again, the neck! I didn't buy it though as I couldn't comprehend the whole situation at the time. I know it's a cheap bass, should get a Squier or an SX if I wanted an inexpensive P-Bass copy, but there was something to this Crate Electra- the weight, the neck, I kid you not, it felt better than either of the preferred options which I've had before or played. Even played with my Squier for a bit to compare.
    Now it's priced at $100 which I think is even too expensive for this from what I've seen. ($50 more like it) Question I want to ask is does anyone have any experience with this bass and actually upgraded by switching out the pickups and electronics?
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

A buddy bought a Crate starter pack a few years back to see if he would dig playing bass(had been on guitar ) and to my surprise we both liked the Crate over the Squier that came in their starter kit . ( back in the 90 s , not current models ) He has since bought nicer , more expensive basses but still has that Crate and I ' m still surprised every time I play it . It is over 10 lbs. but plays and sounds like a p bass should .
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Thanks for the info. The crate at the pawn shop is an older one - I can't believe how the thing plays. I have to rethink a few misconceptions I have about starter basses. Probably inferior material, electronics, but they certainly got the neck right.