1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

crazy awesome or just crazy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrbell321, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mrbell321

mrbell321

I had an idea last night. It started with this:

And as you may know, I've started another thread on another project for a bass ukulele. Once that's done(or I get bored with it), I was thinking: flip-over bass ukulele/ukulele combo.

Just a rough idea at this point, but here are the key ideas so far:
    1) symmetric, double-cutout Gibson EB-3 styled body: [​IMG]
    2) traveler guitar style tuning machine arrangement for the bass side: [​IMG]
    3) semi-headless(headless for the bass side, but potentially use the extra length of the bass scale to set up tuners on the head end uke side). I haven't quite worked this out... But I think I could rig "single sided friction tuners".
    4) piezo bridge pickups and preamp.
    5) endpin output jack and strap pin at the head
    6) maybe hide the preamp under a scratch guard

I don't play uke very well right now(or bass for that matter...), but I imagine this could be really fun w/ a loop pedal: record a loop on one side, flip over and solo with it.

Is it crazy?

In any case, it's a while off since I've got other projects going