1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Crazy Noise Problem In Some Venues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metalinthenight, Apr 8, 2014.

1. metalinthenight

metalinthenight Supporting Member

Hey guys,

My pedalboard (powered by a Voodoo Labs PP2+) works great in most venues, but some venues cause the most god awful noise to come from my Dr. Scientist Reverberator. Like a crazy hum that is louder than the effect.

Now I've narrowed it down to the venue power and not, say another pedal in my signal chain because the RRR works fine in most venues with the same power hook ups.

What are my options for eliminating this noise from popping up? Will something like the Monster Power or Furman surge protectors do the job? Or would the Lehle DC Filter be more my speed?

FWIW, all of the other pedals on my board work great in all venues.

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

We recently moved practice spaces and once we did we had crazy noise in all our amps, it comes and goes. I splurged on a Monster power conditioner that is supposed to be doing audio filtering - it changed pretty much nothing. I'm not an electrician, but I'm pretty sure it costs significantly more to truly get clean power, I've just learned to live with the noise and I've got everything in my effects chain gated, which helps. I don't usually have any issues at venues.

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, if your AC power is on the same circuit breaker as motors, fans, pumps, refrigerators, tube lighting, etc there really isn't much you can do other than learn to live with it or use a different (clean) breaker outlet.

4. metalinthenight

That's really a bummer. When this noise happens, it is significantly louder than my clean signal. Not really "live-able." I'm not really going for crystal clean / pure noise-less sound 100% of the time, but when this issue pops up it renders the pedal completely useless.

Also, when the pedal is bypassed, the sound is gone. It is only present when the pedal is engaged (thankfully).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eriky4003

eriky4003

Metal,
    I've used the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger to good effect with a 60 hz hum. If you hear this hum and it is the same frequency as your 440hz tuned 'B' note then the Hum Debugger will be a good friend ($120).

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm, if the noise is intermittent, chances are you may be able to track down the noise source. See if you can find something like motors, fans, pumps, refrigerators, air conditioning, florescent lighting, electric fencing, and etc that turns on whenever you get the noise.

8. metalinthenight

The noise is intermittent from venue to venue, not song to song or during the gig. It just doesn't like some rooms, all or nothing. Maybe it's the lights in the room that are on the same circuit?

9. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Have you contacted the manufacturer? Sometimes they have knowledge of what causes these issues.

-Frank

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay, then never mind. And yeah, dimmer packs can be nosey - lighting should be on separate AC breakers.

TIP: At least invest in an AC outlet checker http://www.amazon.com/GE-50542-3-Wi...d=1397092464&sr=8-2&keywords=AC outlet tester and "always" check AC outlets before using them and if it if they're not wired correctly - don't use them (its not safe).