1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

CRAZY Suhr Bass!!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    My biz partner Danny is out in LA this week visiting the Suhr factory and possibly stopping by the NAMM show for a bit. While at Suhr's dealer event last night, Danny (who is a guitar player, mind you) was gobsmacked by this bass:

[​IMG]

He all but has the credit card out to grab it, but I suggested he put the brakes on for a day or two... This thing is $10K List, which means it'll sell online in the $7K sort of range.

Now I know there's a market out there for $5K-10K basses. The success of Fodera and Alembic clearly attest to that. That said, I'm wondering if such a market exists for a Suhr bass like this? I'm sure it's just a question of finding the right buyer at the right time, but I wanted to take everyone's temperature on this one. Would I be committing suicide by bass if I grabbed this one? :help::D Does anyone out there at least know somebody who MIGHT buy something like this?
  2. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Suicide? I doubt it. Long term residency at the store? Me thinks so. :)

Sweet looking though!!!
  3. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

I should have asked... What makes this one so special?
  4. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm not sure just yet. The Koa top w/ the center laminations is certainly part of it, but I'm waiting on the complete spec sheet. It could be something like a setneck or a neck-through, but that's just a guess. Or It could just be a "Limited Edition NAMM Show" model that a collector might prize. I'll keep trying to get some more info...
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hmmm..... a Jazz Bass, neck through, with fancy body wings at Fodera price. Not so much.

I'd pass on that. And IMO there are very few 'collectors' of anything new.

You asked for opinions, there you go. IMO, you'd have that at the shop for a long, long time.:p
  6. JOME77

JOME77

Greg I'd have to say that I don't think that Suhr established themselves in the bass market enough yet to ask that kind of cash for a bass.

And it really wouldn't matter (to me) if it was neck through, set-neck or bolt on.

Plus it's only got 4 strings!:D

... That's $2.5K per string!:eek:
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

I agree. I think that bass would sit there for a looonnnnggggg time.
  8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Interesting. I was hoping to scoop everyone with some specs from Suhr's website. Their latest redesign (which, IMO, stinks, btw, and not just for the last part of this sentence...) doesn't even reflect that they make basses. Between that, and the bloody gold hardware on this instrument, I'm having my first, "Maybe Suhr isn't perfect after all," moment. :)

FWIW, even if the spec sheet knocks off your socks, I'd wait until after NAMM. It may sell there - stranger things have happened - and if so, I'm sure they'd make another like it if you and Danny really want to pounce. If it doesn't, maybe the universe will offer some reconciliation, and the concept of a $7k J bass will be identified as being a bit silly.

That....or it'd sell in 30 seconds to a buyer in Hong Kong, Tokyo, or Moscow. :D I actually believe there are many collectors of new stuff. Otherwise, Ritter wouldn't have a market. :ninja: At that, I'll refrain from my thoughts on how many Foderas, Smiths, etc., never leave the homes of those who buy. Now, whether that applies to a four-string J from California? Oy....reason #1040 I'm glad I don't have Greg's job. :D
  9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, yeah, there are PLENTY of collectors of new stuff. That's why you see PRS do a Limited Edition run every other month. "We're only making 60 of these, get one before they're gone!!" And they sell every dang one every time. Suhr used to do a Limited Edition run every year (100-150 guitars), and we'd sell those things all over the world. They're also about the only thing we've ever sold into the Middle East, and I'm sure those are going in a vault somewhere.

Yeah, I'm with you on Suhr's website, Jerry. And I'm pretty sure so is everone else in the world. They went a little too zen for my tastes. All pictures, slogans and white backgrounds. Waaaaay too light on details. I wouldn't mind if the details were a click away, but the details simply aren't there. Not to mention it loads about as fast as mud coming down the interwebs. The word from LA this week is that yet another major redesign may well be underway, so this current version might have a very short life indeed.
  10. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Totally not my cup of tea; this from a guy who gigs out every weekend and already has fantastic basses. If I am going to spend upwards of $9,999.00 on a bass (a 4 string no less), it better sound great and make me breakfast the next day. Limited NAMM, fancy body sounds nice, but if you can't bank that or spend (waste) the gig money from the bass on Patriots tickets vs. the Ravens where the Pats will lay an egg and one will blow hundreds of dollars standing in the freezing New England weather, spending $11.00 per beer only to see the home team suck and go home miserable, - can't be worth it, Right?

I hope I was just thinking that to myself and didn't actually type it....:D

Don't see the appeal and since you asked, I would say, .........................no. Just my 2 cents Greg.....

P.S. As Jerry mentioned, Gold hardware is the main reason I don't even look at the Pedulla website anymore, and I owned a Pentabuzz back in the day.

Boy - I feel better getting that off my chest....:D
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I agree TOTALLY on the guitar side, and PRS has spent years and years building that sort of thing!

Suhr... not so much, especially with a 'strange' instrument like this one at what IMO is a totall ridiculous price.

IMO though, I'm sure it plays and sounds good. I can also see Suhr having fun building what is, by their definition, a 'super bass' for the NAMM show to show their skill, etc.

IMO.
  12. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks for everyone's input, it's much appreciated!

Just FYI - here are the specs. The only caveat is that there was not enough room on the form for them to call out all the woods used. Now I desperately want to see a picture of the back of it. Flame Maple and Wenge neck. Yum! I dig the brass dots, too, that's pretty cool.

Oh, well, we'll probably pass... if I had a row of other $7K instruments already here, I'd probably grab it. As it is, though, this would be a fish out of water.

[​IMG]
  13. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    LOL - as I typed, Danny sent me a cellphone pic he took of the back. That's Jim Kelley holding the bass.

So it's a bolt-on, but I dig how the wenge and flame maple runs all the way through the centerline from headstock to endpin.

[​IMG]
  14. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

:bag:They should have built a 5 and a 6 string for NAMM.
  15. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Heck, they should just build a five-string, period. I'd bet good money they'd easily sell every one. Their design is terrific, the execution flawless, and those electronics sound awesome.

That said, and obviously just speculation, I'd also bet a few Samolians that this one doesn't sound good. Way too many different woods in that body...how are overtones supposed to develop through all those unique vibration principles?

And it has gold hardware.

I'll stop now. If anyone needs me, I'll be stalking Pete.
  16. JOME77

JOME77

Are Humphrey pickups made by Suhr or is that a separate company? I don't recall having heard of them.
  17. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, those are Suhr's pickups. Humphrey/hum-free. Get it? :)

They're really nice pickups, and I LOVE John's preamps. I've been itching for several years now to get a set of his pickups, but they only come in 4-string... for now.

I'm mildly optimistic that a Suhr 5-string might become a reality sometime this year. We've really been leaning on them about that every chance we get...
  18. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Greg, that J you brought to the Georgia GTG still haunts my dreams a bit. These instruments really are terrific.

Sorta' connecting dots...my local store recently became a Suhr dealer, and they landed a few incredible instruments for stock. Including the korina sample here:

http://www.suhr.com/suhr-limited-run-guitars/

Granted, I am by-no-means a guitarist, but I had to spend a few minutes with that beauty. Not only is that finish RIDICULOUS in-the-flesh, but this thing plays beautifully. I get it. But....finally, to my point. I have my man, Ed, jumping on the bandwagon to request a fiver. This will undoubtedly become a wallet-lightener for me. Alder/rosewood, oly white w/ tort guard, & black h/w, if you please.
  19. JOME77

JOME77

lol :D

Very cool! A pun with true meaning.:)

+1 to Jerry's comments on the jazz Suhr at the GTG. It had a very nice overall feel and sound.

Of that I'm Suhr! :)
  20. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Dang it. Yet another brand those Gelb boys will have you covered. :crying::spit::help::D

I'm gonna pick up Anderson just to piss in their Wheaties. LOL. :D