1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Crazy three-pickup bass idea... HammSklar? Or Yamasklarge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Nov 16, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

So I bought a Yamaha BB200 on here last night (don't have it yet) for the purposes of crazy pickup experimentation and I am not sure what I want to do with it yet. The original plan was to remove the existing pickup and use the existing pickup rout to house two 9V batteries. Then put a reverse EMG active P bass pickup directly above and directly below the existing pickup rout. Inspired by Lee Sklar's double reverse P bass.

(Lucky for me, the seller upgraded to a DiMarzio DP127 which is a fine pickup on its own. I'll either re-sell or use for something else.)

Then I got a wild hair and started thinking... what if I could actually turn this bad boy into a 3-pickup monster? I'd still do a double reverse P above and below the existing rout, ala Sklar. But then use the space in between for some sort of humbucker. Like a DiMarzio DP120 Model One or maybe an old Peavey blade style T-40 pickup, or something else. If I do this, I would have to rig up the Fender Stu Hamm Urge control setup (see page 4 for all possible pickup configurations.) I'd be going passive, so just master volume, blend, master tone, and then a 3-way switch. That way I could still use only the outer two pickups (both reverse P pickups) ala Sklar, but also have a bunch of other combinations using the 3-way switch and blend knob.

Crazy, yes. Still with me?

My question is, if I do a 3-pickup bass, I probably won't be able to use active EMGs. Because then the middle pickup would have to be active, too, right? Otherwise the pots wouldn't match up. I don't know much about electronics, so keep it simple for me, but I'm under the impression that EMG uses like 25k pots for their active pickups whereas most passive pickups require 250k to 500k. I'm a dummy but those numbers to me look like there'd be a mismatch combining two "outer" active EMG reverse P pickups and a "middle" passive humbucker of some sort.

^Assuming I'm right about that NOT working, I guess I could either 1) Go with three active pickups or 2) Go with three active pickups. Leaning toward option 2) because three actives would require three batteries (right?) The bass IS rear-routed so there is room in the back, but I don't really want three batteries in there.

If I go with 3 passives, though, then I could use the original DP127 that comes with the bass for one of the "outer" pickups. Order a second DP127 for the other "outer" pickup. Then order a humbucker for the middle.

Insane right? :bag::hyper::bassist::ninja:

2. TimBosby

Might call it "Yamasklarge."

Lol.

3. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

This one in the classifieds made me weak in the knees.

[​IMG]

4. TimBosby

oooh, yeah I remember seeing that one.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Is there a tone you're trying to achieve?? Or just experimenting? 3 batts would! suck. You should check out the Stu Hamm 'URGE" it has 2 Jazz with a P in between. Also Jeff Ament has a Modulus Bass with a tri pickup system you could look at for configuration. I also know that the Marcus Miller Jazz (some at least..) have active and passive together. You just need a good 4 position toggle because I believe you're gonna want maximum! control over that monster! Wonder how it sound with a EMG 81 at the neck and 85 at the bridge with a Passive in the middle... Placement will obviously be the key to making this work.

7. TimBosby

No specific sound in mind. My luthier said he could run three EMGs on one 9V though it may make more sense to do 2 9V in an 18v setup.

Yeah, my ideal would be the Urge setup, minus the preamp. So master vol, blend, and master tone knobs, with a 3 way pickup selector switch. Seven possible pickup configurations:

Front pickup solo, mid pickup solo, rear pickup solo, front and mid together, mid and rear together, front and rear together, or all three pickups together. This can be achieved as detailed by page 4 of the PDF file below:

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-1500A_SISD.pdf

8. An Army Of Juan

An Army Of Juan

I always wanted to do a P-bass middle pickup and Stingray bridge pickup with the complete signal path for each, with a switch. The idea being that both the P-bass and the Stingray "only have one sound", but they're both great sounds.

Now that I have a Yamaha Attitude bass (the cheap one from the 90's, mind you), I'm considering the crazy idea of having *THREE* basses in one, by adding a MM bridge pickup to the existing P-bass pickup and EB-0 neck pickup. I don't know how I'd fit all the electronics in, since I believe that much of the Stingray's tone probably comes from the preamp.

9. TimBosby

This is kinda what I have in mind...

[​IMG]

10. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Agreed on the 18v. I fear if you run 3 on 1 you'll be flying through batteries. I would assume.. I would very! much like to hear that Bass shown above.

11. TimBosby

I sent that schematic to my guy - hopefully we can figure something out :D

12. RickBlair

RickBlair

EMG's don't draw a whole lot of current so even a single 9V will last quite a while. I'm running 2 40DCs and a 40J as well as a BQC on a single 9V. I only use that bass for a couple hours a week but the battery has lasted almost a year so far.

I know a guitar player who occasionally plays bass, and he called me one day to ask about a problem with his Guild Pilot. He said there was no sound coming out. I knew that Pilots had EMG pickups so I asked if he changed the battery. He replied "there's no battery." I told him to look at the back to see if there was a small plastic cover. There was and when he removed it he found the battery that he never knew was there.

He had been playing this bass for 15 YEARS on the same battery.

I'm not saying that all EMG users can expect similar results, but I believe the components they use only require 5 volts to operate so a 9V can last a while. I do like the option of 18V or even 27V. I have an 18V harness that I made for my Modulus before I changed to a Lane Poor preamp that I might revive for my 3-pickup bass.

Rick B.

13. TimBosby

Hmmm good info!

Anyone on this thread know HOW to wire a three pickup bass or have any experience with the Stu Hamm Urge (either active or passive)?

14. RickBlair

RickBlair

Really depends on how you want the control layout. I use 3 volumes going into the BQC. You can have a V/T for each pickup that would keep things simple - my favorite - wired my Modulus that way. You can get crazy with 3-way switches for all kinds of pickup combinations and coil splits.

You will probably end up finding one sound that you like and use that all the time. I use all 3 pickups fully on and the BQC set at its detents 99% of the time. I probably would have been as well off with 1 pickup. :p

Rick B.

15. TimBosby

Yeah I am really hoping the Urge layout works out.

16. TimBosby

Decided I will go passive with DiMarzios. Reverse position split Ps at the neck and bridge. Model One humbucker in the middle. Bad photoshop mockup attached. Added a third knob but will need a three way selector switch too. Yamaha-Sklar-Urge-DiMarzio. Yamasklurgio... lol

Attached Files:

17. TimBosby

How exactly I'm going to channel wires for all three of these pickups to the control pots... well, I don't really know. Suggestions?