1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Crazy tuning issue ???? - Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JayBass69, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JayBass69

JayBass69

Ok, so I recently purchased an Ibanez SR 750 from Sweetwater. It arrived (after passing their 55 point inspection) with the G string "really low" to the fretboard. This one string was significantly lower than the others. I have adjusted and raised it and it appears to be in tune (according to the electronic Snark tuner with a brand new battery). I have also "ear" tuned it, and it matches every other G on the fretboard. Heres the kicker... when I play notes on the frets on that particular string its definitely out of tune. I have repeated this several times with the same results. What in the world is going on? Is there something else on the bridge I need to adjust? why would the other notes/frets be so far out of tune? Please help :(
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Yes, intonation.
  3. JayBass69

JayBass69

Ok, cool... how?
  4. ejmy

ejmy

If you mean that the string is in tune when you play it open and out of tune where ever you fret it, yes the intonation is way off. You need to either make it shorter or longer.
  5. ejmy

ejmy

By turning the screw that makes the saddle move.
  6. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is a stickied thread about setups, I highly recommend you take a look at Jerzy Drozd's setup guide, it will explain the whole process and the science behind a setup.
  8. icecycle66

icecycle66

I love the art work at the wikihow link.
  9. JayBass69

JayBass69

Ok, awesome... I sincerely appreciate all the advice guys! Total "rookie" mistakes. This was ultimately a good experience though, because after calming the hell down, I now know a heck of a lot more about bridge adjustment, tuning, intonation, etc. Again, thanks for all the help gents! - J