Crazy8 and Crazy88

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nutdog, Mar 28, 2012.

1. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

In an effort to cement my reputation as the world's laziest bass player I just put a deposit down for a composite Crazy88. It's designed for DB but appears to be suitable for other acoustic instruments as well as EB and PA use.

There are threads on the DB side:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/arnopol-8-cabinet-winner-848274/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f4/acoustic-cab-shootout-845758/

I didn't see anything about it in the EB section and I think it is deserving of some buzz over here.

It's a greenboy and Mike Arnopol design collaboration using the Faital Pro 8PR200 8 inch driver with an xmax of 8.15. Unlike the fEARful design where the plans are available for anyone to use, these are only available from authorized builders.

Specs as I've been able to gather from various posts on TB and the fEARful forum:

Crazy8:
    8ohm
    200 watts
    10.5"w x13"h x 11.25"d
    Composite weight with optional tweeter: 13lbs
    Composite weight no tweeter: 9lbs
    Wood weight with tweeter: 16lbs

Crazy88:
    4ohm
    400 watts
    10.75"w x 21.5"h x 13"d
    Composite weight (only available with tweeter): 20lbs
    Wood weight: ??

I invite corrections and more info from anyone that may have them.

Crazy 8 (with optional tweeter):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Barry Audio's wood version in at 16lbs:

[​IMG]

Crazy88 (comes with tweeter):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Here is what Mike is saying about the 88 for electric bass:

3. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

And here is Ukiah Bass’s report on his electric bass experience with the crazy8. I’ve also posted his DB review because the pictures are great for showing the size.

4. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

Wow!

Anybody else have experience with these yet?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great looking cabs, and good reviews posted.

Just to clarify, these are a Greenboy design. Mike is one of the authorized builders of these cabs. I believe any of the authorized builders can build these, although some do not work in composite materials.

7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Just to clarify---these cabs are a JOINT design. Greenboy and I collaborated and made the internal volume slightly bigger. Green boy is totally responsible for the x over. I had posted pics of my completed 8' cab before Greenboy and I talked. Looks virtually identical.
    The only reason I'm saying this is that I spent a lot of time making different cabs and testing them--the review of the cab on the DB side was before we talked. I really like working with Greenboy---we argue and bounce ideas off each other and hopefully come out with better products.
    This stuff isn't magic. Greenboy and I were both driver shopping and came up with the ONLY driver that could do what the Faital does. And we both came up with extremely similar designs.
    I just mention this (probably because of ego) because I take great pride in the collaboration of design on a truly unique and (in it's own small way) groundbreaking product.

8. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

A pair of composite 88's would make a killer small PA or stereo as well as a slammin bass rig. Beautifully done!

9. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Thanks
    A pair of 88's is my go to loud rig these days. A customer just bought a pair for PA use. Another current customer ordered an additional 2 C8's for pa use.

10. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    We've made an improvement to the 88. It now has a single 4" precision port on the back. This gives about an additional 3db of low end with little or no port turbulence. These little 8's put out even more than I anticipated and this change allows their performance to improve.

11. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I would have never even considered 2x8, but I played through one with an Focus head and it sounded really nice. Definitely easy to transport.

12. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Do I get the improvement?:D

13. barryaudio

barryaudio

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Neither would I but these new drivers have really turned me into a believer.

14. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Love the sound of the Crazy8 with DB and fretless electric 5-string. I'll be ordering an 88 from Mike soon - and selling the rest of my bass cabs.

15. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Thanks for the comment. I don't mind saying I'm a little nervous. But I'm not gigging much and I don't get super loud when I do. I'm hoping this 20lb box will handle what my current 40lb 210 does.

I don't play DB but I do some acoustic guitar and singing stuff that this could handle. If it works out I may add another for a bass rig that doubles as mini PA.

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I have to really watch the volume with my Crazy8, otherwise, my neighbors complain about the sound of bass emanating through the walls, and the sound of pictures and photographs falling from my walls and crashing to the floor distracts me from the music. ;) Seriously, although the laws of physics cannot be overcome, this is NOT a tinny or small-sounding cab.

My DB signal chain is:
    FDeck HPF/Pre --> Fishman Pro Platinum --> iAmp800 --> Crazy8.

The Crazy8 is capable of reproducing the sound of a low B without complaint at reasonable volumes; I prefer the timbre with the DEEP button on my iAmp engaged and the lows rolled off with the HPF; this may seem counterintuitive, but the sound is divine. This cab produces low bass and rich mids that, finally, after more than 40 years of playing, give me the holy grail of DB: the sound of my DB, only louder. :D

And I've never heard my fretless 55-02 sound better. :smug:

I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

17. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

My Crazy8 order is in :)

18. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

You're in for a treat. I'm only playing my Rob Allen Deep 4 lately and it sounds amazing with the Crazy 8. It's hard to imagine that deep rich full tone coming from such a tiny lightweight box. Acoustic bass bliss.

19. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Yes, I'm pretty psyched. I've been thinking about a small cab for awhile, thought seriously about a Barefaced Midget, but I think the Crazy8 is the ticket. Between it, my Acme Low B-112, and Thunderchild 115 I feel pretty lucky to have three great cabs :bassist:

20. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Guys---I just received the prototype of the Eminence Defend unit. This is likely to be a BIG game changer. It is essentially a small board thet mounts inside the cab and is a DSP that runs on the speaker voltage. It is a programmable HPF and limiter. It is supposedly super transparent. If it does what others that I trust have told me it can provide the HPF and just chop off peaks in a way that is unnoticeable (unless you use too much limiting) It literally should make a Crazy 8 compete with 12's---I'm afraid what it will do for the 88! I'll keep y'all (as they would say at Eminence in Kentucky) posted. And it's not supposed to be pricey at all.

21. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    yup