Cream 2013 reunion on hold

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bill reed, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bill reed

bill reed

In a recent interview with the BBC, rock legend Jack Bruce revealed that plans for a Cream reunion in 2013 have been halted due to a rift between guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker. The band, which was one of the first rock supergroups, last reunited in 2005 for four sold out shows.

“There was supposed to be [a reunion] next year, but I think Ginger upset Eric this time, so it’s not happening,” Bruce told the interviewer, adding that he couldn’t tell what exactly happened.
  2. wrench45us

wrench45us

I think last time during the reunion there was rift bewen Ginger and Jack -- something about being too loud. They set up plexiglass shields to protect Ginger's hearing.

Ginger's a bit of an a**hat -- based on the video documentary I saw.
  3. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Beware of Mr. Baker was a great documentary. The director was at the screening I saw in Somerville, MA doing Q and A. The movie really showed how much Ginger's heart was into Jazz which is probably surprising to most folks who probably think of him as a bash and pound guy from a loud rock band. I suspect there isn't much left in the tank for good old Ginger who's health is in less than optimal condition. I wish the old codger all the best and if he can't trot out there to cash in on another reunion I'll always remember him fondly and of course treasure his musical legacy.
  4. bill reed

bill reed

I think Ginger had to sell his stud farm in South Africa due to a lack of funds and i think that did not help his health. also just after the 4 day 2005 gig in the Royal Albert hall they went and did a gig in the USA and Ginger was so off the beat it put off both Jack and Eric and they put off doing any more tours after that. the Gig in the usa was really poor.
    think Ginger feels hard done too! shame as would have loved to see them play once more.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1

At least Ginger didn't try to stab anyone this time...but hope does spring eternal.
  7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Whats similiar about coffee and ginger baker.....

They both suck without cream....

Rimshot
  8. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Fixed that for you.
  9. GM60466

GM60466

I hear that there are 3 shows @ Wembly in July 2013 following by three shows in the USA. Citi Field in NY, Soldier Field in Chicago and San Francisco.
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Wow, the guys from Cream not getting along? Really? That's astonishing.
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Is there any place I can watch that? I am having a hard time finding anything about availability other than the original film festival it premiered at.
  12. fourstringdrums

13. chef wong

chef wong

I don't know how anybody can stand Jack Bruce's singing. It actually makes my stomach hurt.
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The original reunion concerts were in late May, 2005. The Madison Square Garden gigs were in October- not at all "... just after...". By all accounts the MSG gigs were done mostly because of the sheer amount of money they garnered, and both Clapton and Bruce say the problems were the conflict between Jack and Ginger. Nothing ever said about Ginger's drumming being "... off the beat". In 2005 there were no plans for further tours.

John
  15. mcm

mcm

Ginger is a nutcase and an idiot
  16. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

perhaps a difficult person (by all accounts) but anyone who can hang with Elvin Jones gets major props from me.

You could say the same thing about Mingus, really.

How about a power trio of Baker, Mingus, and Django (another certifiable)? :ninja:
  17. 4001

18. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Fourstringdrums, you could try the contact page at bewareofmrbaker.com As I recall from the film fest I think it was sponsored by Newbury Comics so I'd guess they should carry it at some point.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

They probably are waiting for custom made Depends so they can make through a gig without taking a whiz. These guys are really old now.
  20. fourstringdrums

When asked if they would ever reunite, the members of Cream replied "depends.."
  21. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Ginger and Cream doesn't mix well if you look in recipes books. The cream has tendency to drop and this is where depends came into place to sponsor the tour.