1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Creating a website

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Manuel101, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Manuel101

Manuel101

So I spent over a month researching and learning how to create a website using Adobe Dreamweaver. I kept experimenting and going to bed at 3am or 4am in the morning and this is what i have to show for it: www.popculturexperiment.com. What do you guys think of it?

Do any of you know how to create a site? I am having problems placing the top banner in the center. If I program it to the center in firefox, it wont be centered in Safari or in Chrome and vice verca. Does anybody know how to correct that?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I'm on my iPhone, so I can't see what you've posted. There are several ways to do this, but the best, most universally accepted by all browsers is using layers. Look into using dhtml and style sheets. Dreamweaver really impresses me how well it handles all this. It would be hard to assess what you're talking about without looking at the code, but a <div></div> tag with the correct alignment parameters should do the trick.

3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

You want to use your CSS file to position it with something like this:

<div class="banner">Banner Information</div>

And then your CSS is this:
    .banner {
    width:500px;
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-left:auto;
    }

CSS can have different prefixes for different browsers, mozilla and I think opera are "-mozilla"
    Safari is "-webkit" etc.

4. droo46

droo46

+1 although you shouldn't have to do anything browser specific here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Just make sure it looks like you want in IE and you'll be fine with the big majority of visitors. People using other browsers will make up a tiny minority of folks coming to your site.

7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Depends on your target demographic and where they are located.

Most stats put Chrome as the most used browser overall (~30%) followed by IE, and Firefox only a few % behind that, Safari isn't that far behind Firefox. Those four browsers account for ~85% of users. The use of IE has dropped a lot in the last 5 years, non-IE browsers are no longer a minority.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    That actually does surprise me - I thought most people still used IE. Clearly I was mistaken.

I tried Chrome and just couldn't get along with it. I do use Safari occasionally though (when I get my iPad out of its box about once a month).

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Safari had a fair chunk from the apple users, Chrome really seems to have taken IEs top spot, certainly a recent thug though.

Never really got on with Chrome either, been a Firefox user for years, though may give Chrome another shot, it must be doing something right!

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Optimizing for I.e. is also a bad idea because the browser as a whole (with 9+ being the only exceptions I know of) that actually respects a lot of CSS standards. I can't count the number of times I've had to include special little I.e. snippets of code to make the page render properly in that browser. Webkit browsers like Chrome and safari are easily my favorite to code in as they seem to really be on the ball about keeping up with CSS standards. There's nothing sweeter than a CSS3 compatible browser.

11. Manuel101

Manuel101

So I spent two whole days completely reconstructing the site. I learned a lot in the process so it should only get easier next time. I am very happy with the results.