1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Creating basslines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hansmoleman, Jan 12, 2014.

1. hansmoleman

hansmoleman

Hey!

UPDATE: Currently my second attempt in the link!

I've just joined the forum to learn more about bass, I've been playing since October roughly and the next step I see is making my own basslines to give me something more interesting to play (and I hate learning from tabs!).

Here's a very rough attempt I made today and was wondering if it was musically correct? Timings a little inconsistent etc. etc. but I'm most concerned whether notes are good and I'm not confident yet with my own knowledge but I think they're okay.

Song is Bowie - Young Americans

Chords are C Dm F G
    Notes I hit are:
    C (low)F (low)G D F A
    D A E G
    F G A#
    G A C

Each line represents new chord. I can't exactly remember the order after the first line as its was done of the cuff, but the first line I thought out.

Sorry if it's impossible to answer this, any help is appreciated.

Also should just mention I love the forum!
    Thanks!
  2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Not too bad, man. Some advice is have is try and be a little more simple rhythmicly when you're testing out note choices. All that syncopation (mixed with the timing issues you mentioned) are a little distracting and with rhythmic simplicity you'll be able to hear your own clams more easily.

That being said I could completely hear what you were going for and it's a cool line.
  3. hansmoleman

hansmoleman

Hey cheers for the feedback!

This is my new attempt, it's similar notes but a little tidier I think if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks!