Creation Audio Labs: new bass pedals on the horizon...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 8strings0hair, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

Saw the ad in the Feb 2013 of Premier Guitar, seems Creation Audio Labs has 2 bass pedals in the pipeline:

First, there's one called the Funkulator, designed to help the tone when transitioning from fingerstyle to slap...
    [​IMG]
    Creation Audio Labs Funkulator - Bass Tone Shaper

The other is an overdrive/distortion made for bass called the Grizzly Bear...
    [​IMG]
    Creation Audio Labs Grizzly Bass

Very interested in the latter.

If anyone's at NAMM, can you get some info...? Thanks.
  2. 8strings0hair

NAMM is starting! If anyone's around the Creation Audio Labs booth, details/sounds/impressions would be appreciated. :)
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love Creation Audio glad to see them release some new stuff.
  4. 8strings0hair

Nice setup!

[​IMG]

The grizzly bass looks so much cooler in black. I hope they keep that.

The info on the website is sparse for now, and mentions Spring 2013 as a release date.
    Can't wait for sound clips.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sammywalk

sammywalk

I've been talking with Alex from Creation Audio and he basically said that the Grizzly Bass is a Holy Fire + Funkulator that runs on 9v. Actually, thats exactly what he said.

They made it because bassists didn't realize the Holy Fire is compatible with their instrument.

Pretty disappointing to me. :meh: Though the Holy Fire is still a great overdrive.
  7. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Those things are so sexy.
  8. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

The only thing that kept me away from the Holy Fire was the 48 volt power supply. If they managed to reproduce the sound at 9V. It just made it back on my want list, big time.

jeremy
  9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    eeyore: Actually they can. All they need to do is step up the voltage internally. This is pretty common in electronics and some pedals. Digitech Hardwires run at 18 volts and so does the Visual Volume pedal. Notice most original EH pedals are 18volt, but the new versions are 9.

The only issue is that when you do this it causes the mA draw to jump a bit so some power supplies won't be able to run that big of a step up, 9 - 48, with out burning up an output.

I agree with you totally, I refuse to buy a pedal that doesn't run on 9volts input.
  10. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Yep. I'm familiar with internal charge pumps, and I don't mind my pedals that run on 12-18v. You are correct, though. To jump the voltage to 48 internally would be quite a trick.

Can't wait to hear it when it's released.
  11. sammywalk

sammywalk

He also told me they are planning on releasing a 9v version of the Holy Fire AFTER they release the Grizzly Bass.

So they aren't so stupid after all. :smug:
  12. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Certainly not! I have no use for the Funkulator aspect, so a 9v Holy Fire sounds like a true winner to me. I'll be keeping my eye out for that.

jeremy
  13. sammywalk

sammywalk

I agree, the Funkulator isn't something for everyone (certainly not me). I really dont see why they stuck one on an overdrive.
  14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    From the clip, the funkulator sounds like a sweepable upper mids boost.

If indeed the Grizzly is both an nice overdrive with a sweepable upper mids boost, that is available to run on standard 9V, I'm more interested.
  15. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
  16. cnltb

cnltb

Do they say what differences there will be in terms of performance etc between the 9V and the 48V version?
    Which one would one get if power consumption is irrellevant?
  17. MikeClaiborne

MikeClaiborne

Disclosures:
    VP Operations, Creation Audio Labs
    Geri O likes this.
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Finally how about the other pedal?
  19. Eadger

Eadger Supporting Member

In case anyone's interested, I called Creation Audio yesterday (since I've been checking the Grizzly Bass web page every day for 6 months now) to see if they scrapped the Grizzly or what the deal was. They said they actually were back to currently working on it after getting sidetracked on some other things (most likely new Pedaltrain power supply), and it is not scrapped and indeed should be coming very soon.

He also noted that it and all Creation Audio pedals going forward would indeed be 9V and they have found a way to make the Holy Fire 9V and sound completely the same as the current version (didn't ask about mA draw).

Anyway, if you're like me and have been holding off on several other overdrives, just hoping this pedal would come out...maybe this will help you hold on a little longer...........or it will completely ruin your day because you wanted to give up and buy something else (if that's you, sorry).....but I'm starting to get excited again!
  20. iggy

iggy

I'm one of the imbeciles that was following the Grizzly and the Holyfire. I know the Grizzly should have come out in the fall of 2013. I'm gonna get the Solid Gold Beta for now. Holding off on the Euphoria. Had a chance to play it in the Braintree GC and it was really transparent. I had a hard time getting the pedal to unity gain. With the bass I was using, a stingray, the volume knob was at 4 oclock on the pedal. thought that was strange. A nice as they say transparent sound with the hair in a nice place. It is hard to describe even though I'm guilty of asking people for specific reviews. Weird.
  21. SirMjac28

Thanks for the update Eadger I had been in contact with them but lost interest because the way they were talking the pedal was just about ready for production?