Crest CA6 into 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thumbstruck, Dec 17, 2012.

1. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Hey guys, is this a workable combination? The 112 cabs peak at 300 RMS, and the crest puts out 600W stereo at 4ohms. I'm new to the power amp thing, since I've been running the cabs with an SVT3 for awhile now. I just don't want to blow any speakers, or burn up the amp. Would I run the amp in stereo 4 ohms with the cabs in series on one channel? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

I used the CA6 with an alembic pre F2B with 2 Aguilar DB12 without a problem. I would put each cabinet in its own channel.

3. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Awesome! Just picked the CA6 up, and it sounds great. Just to make sure I'm doing this right, you're running it with input A going to stereo outs, not bridged mode, right?

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If you don't want to burn up the amp don't bridge it.

As always, mind the loud and the loud lows or you'll blow the cabs with that much power. Assuming they're 8 ohms each you could put both cabs on one channel and it would be fine.

Stereo evens out the wear and tear on the amp but it won't be very much louder, if at all, before the cabs complain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thumbstruck

thumbstruck

Cool. Yes, they're 8ohm cabs, so I'll just do that to keep the cable mess down. New territory for me, so thank you for the help! Loving the sound.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Agree. Don't btridge.

8. INTP

INTP

That's a great amp, though it is deep and heavy. I've used mine with a pair of 8 ohm cabs with success. I split the preamp signal and gave each cab it's own channel. Just listen to the cabs and if you hear them breaking up, back off on the volume and you should be fine.

I did have a couple of occasions where I ran two identical 8 ohm (2-10) cabinets on one channel, and one different 8 ohm (15) cabinet on the other. This also worked well, even though one side of the amp was seeing 4 ohms and the other was seeing 8.